Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Ahhh nice deal! Cant beat that for $24.

Agreed thats a good question. How does it stack up to the liquid versions? Are you seeing similar results? Any ideas how long it takes to break down in your soil?

Maybe someone with more knowledge can enlighten us. Thats a nice price for a bag that size. All about being wise with the coin.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I actually use it on my lawn because we have such nasty clay soil out here. Have been experimenting with tea and even grinding it. I did some research on it apparently it is highly oxidized organic material that falls between peat and coal

I have not done a side by side with and without it so I could not tell you if it is directly responsible for the success of the garden but I can definitely tell you it did save my lawn hahaha my experience with it is that it gets soft relatively easily usually after Brewing the tea it is fairly mushy and it gets spread out as a top dressing

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Raw vs Soluble

This article really explains everything we were just wondering about

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  4. Is it ok to reuse the soil from a plant that had spider mites?

5. Hey greyduck! Check out this thread...Hey GCO, Please help me quarantine!

I found a few of the little fuckers at the end of my grow and almost threw all my soil away...Jerry yelled at me, :lmafoe:

Make a neem tea and clean your pots. Probably would be a good idea to add a ladybug or two at the beginning just as a preventative. I'm plannning on it.

oh...and prepper said he's been using green lacewigs with good success....

HTH's

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hey guys can you give me an honest opinion about if I should harvest yet or not. I've got 2 plants one in a 5 gallon smart pot and the other in a 7 gallon clay pot transplanted from 3 gallon pots they were in veg indoors in my grow box but got too big for it so threw them outside 6th week of veg 1 week into flowering. That was around August 5th fast foward now about almost 3 months later and this is how the buds look. Thanks.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Appreciate the input bugsy. Youve sold me on it! Now it's just a matter of finding it out here locally lol.

8. I can located purchase Azomite or Greensand.
    Anyone have input on which I should purchase and why?
    thanks

9. So earlier this year, with help from this thread I put a soil together with many inputs, really good castings really good compost, handful of worms , made it a taste on the hot side, let it sit for 5 or so months , planted into it a couple weeks ago,
    A skywalker and some 3bears og,

2 -7 gallon fabric pots on-top of lava rock sips , and a 15 gallons to the side .
    Cover crop is going crazy, worms seem happy , and sip is performing as it should.

Thinking of throwing some straw ontop when I start trimming back the cover crop, and will be trimming back the basil and peppers as the plants mature,
    Just want to keep that top layer happy and thriving
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Would bat/bird guanos be considered an amendment or part of compost in this recipe?

450ish watt led easy organics indoor grow
    Indoor organic

11. Took advantage of some fall sales [​IMG]

Indoor organic

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. What stores did you get all that at? Thanks

13. 3 or 4 different feed stores, Home Depot, local hydro store and Amazon. I'm lucky in that my job has me driving all over the place so I'm able to keep an eye out for places.

Indoor organic

• Like Like x 1
  14. #14115 txncanna, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Ok, can someone advise if "manure free" is better for growing herb? Specifically this stuff:
    [​IMG]

15. #14116 Humple, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    At about 150 pages deep on this thread, I'm seeing repeated concerns over using only dolomite/garden lime as a PH balancer. Of course I was hasty and bought all my supplies after reading just the opening posts, and now I'm concerned that the Espoma pelletized garden lime that I used will not have broken down enough to keep PH in check. My mix is exactly ITG's original starter recipe from page one, and my soil has been cooking for about 6 weeks. Any thoughts? Should I amend with oyster shell flour or gypsum before planting? And if so, do I need to add any more base ingredients and let it cook a bit longer?

Thanks for any help you can give!

16. The pellitized is the finely ground stuff formed into pellets with a fast dissolving binder for ease of use in mechanical spreaders/applicators.

Take a tsp or so and drop in a 1/2 glass of water to see for yourself. Gypsum usually comes the same way.

You could add about 1/2cup/cf of gypsum to the mix with no additional cooking needed or, just top dress some later. Gypsum has little effect on pH, but is a great source of both Ca and sulfur.

I've used dolomite for years with none of those "concerns" ever coming to pass. It is simply not a problem in container mixes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. So it sounds like much ado about nothing. Excellent! Thanks for the help!

• Like Like x 2
  18. So should i also do 1 gallon of the meal,veg fert and rock dust as well?

19. No

2-4 cups RD per CF
    2-3 cups of amendments per CF total

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1