Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. HI there, first of all thank you "In the garden" Ganja girl for posting this.. It can be a pretty intimidating trying to ask questions and try things out and Thank you Jerry! I keep reading your posts whenever I have time. I know this is an old post in itself... Jerry I'm finally doing it and going to make own soil mix for small indoor grow. Today I went out and purchased most of the ingredients except I ended up with "Down to Earth" Oyster Shells.. instead of Lime, the guy at the nursery suggested using oyster shells instead and I'm wondering if this will help stabilize pH or am I gonna run into problems? I am also waiting on Neem Meal, which i figure I can add in a couple of days when I get it. Currently I have Spag peat moss, lava rocks, Boo's compost, earth worm castings, Dr Earth all tom/veg blend 4-6-3, Kelp meal, azomite, alfalfa meal, crab meal. Once I mix everything can I just leave out on a tarp or should I really place in a bin? Thanks in advance. I am so excited to give this a try.

2. oyster shell flour is a good lime no worries.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Oyster shell is fine - providing it has been ground to a flour, as Scooby mentioned above.

Larger pieces will take eons to break down and become useful.

J

• Like Like x 3
  4. Thanks guys, yes it's been ground to a flour. Hoping it works well enough. Thanks for response.

5. Ok so, I got a little spaced last night when I had this thought so bear with me.

I wanna know if you can turn juice into a powder form. Like I juice fruits and vegetables for breakfast every morning and I put the pulp into my worm bin. I drink the juice of course. But what about if I have fruits or veggies that have gone bad? Instead of just putting the whole thing in the worm bin could I juice it, feed worms with pulp, and turn the juice into a powder for future use of something compost related?

Also I know juice is like 98% water (H2O) so obviously you'd have to cut it down heavily with something. Or maybe freeze-dried?

Also I found this US Patent on the process so I guess it is possible, but is there a way to simplify it more? Google

Like I said, I was stoned lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Throw the whole thing to the worms.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 5
  7. Hi hi hi ... You can do hydro organically BUT and its a big butt... it's a lot more work that just running organic soil.

Organic nutrients tend to "grow" micro-organisms (imagine that) and thus requires flushing the system regularly and starting over with a new batch of organic nutrients. I'm not talking organic bottled nutrients, I'm talking home made organic nutrients similar to what we use as an ACT.

Been busy farming.. went from hand watering my grows to using AutoPot system. Working great, to add in any SST or ACT just water in... and foiler spray FTW.

sent from my vacation phone using sandal tapBolt

8. looking for some advice . Basically i started with LC's Mix with recipe 1 + Rock dust more or less about 3 grows ago. Grow in pots, no room for no till so at end of cycle goes into a tub ready for next.

Not added anymore blood or bone meal since start. Been using some alfalfa meal, Frass, kelp, some Plagron Bat guano, etc.

To reamend am i looking at 1/2 cup per foot of soil or the amendments i want to add?

Also i now have gypsum and want to add that.rather than dolomite. So could i have some suggestions.

Sure this is posted somewhere but spend 1hr seaerching...!

thanks

9. Also to add... I have a load of good fresh EWC I could add. But would these be better saved for top dresses.

10. I'd put it in my dirt. If I had extra, use it to top dress down the road.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. What about volumes for reamend's

Guess I need to add more aeration if more EWC as pretty dense

12. This is on the front page. Might be in second post. It's there though.

13. Ahh shit man! Sorry id been using he site search and Google and that hadn't come up! :passing-joint:

14. Search function is hit or miss with me when it comes to working. Put in something obvious and brings up nothing when you know it's in the thread. I just try another day usually. Or another device will sometimes work. I go between my phone and tab.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gypsum does not replace dolomite. It offers both Ca and S, but not much buffering (pH). It's Ca is sulfate and not the carbonate form needed for pH buffering.

I use both, the dolomite for pH along with Ca and Mg, Gypsum for Ca and S. The lime is part of the mix and gypsum, sometimes. Mainly added as a top dress later in the grow for the extra Ca and the sulfur componet. No problems using both together.

Wet

• Like Like x 6
  16. You can male organic teas and run through a hydro system. Using RO water. To me that's an organic grow. The medium realm doesn't even matter IMO as long as you use no chemical or synthetic nutrients I'd say it constitutes as organic.
    Hydro seems like way more work than I would like to put in. Creating a good living soil is less work and reusable over and over only getting better with age, like women and fine wine.

17. I'm purchasing some organic amendments.

Should I go with Neem seed meal, alfalfa meal, kelp meal.

I already have blood, bone,
    Lime, peat, perlite.

Getting some EWC/compost locally.

18. AB
    Yes on the Neem, kelp and alfalfa, lime, peat, perlite.. A bag of composed chicken manure from Lowes isn't a bad idea..
    Ecoscraps compost from home depot is acceptable for the low cost.. Bu's Malibu or Coast of Maine is top quality but can be hard to run down and it's a bit pricy if you need much..
    Blood and bone meal I'm less likely to use now as it's slaughter house floor scraping for the most part and used outside it'll draw diggers or so it has for me..
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  19. Man,Do I feel your pain on this matter !!! Why do so many of these "teachers" on YouTube want to waste 15-20 minutes of my time trying to teach me a process or a technique BEFORE telling us that this is what they are just now starting to try themselves ??? Really ? You want me to tune back in to your channel in 3 or 4 months to find out how it worked ? I want to learn things that have already been done and proven to be successful, NOT what you decided to start experimenting with !
    Which is why I'm finding this forum to be MUCH more useful to me than "BoobTube"...
    A great big THANKS to all you guys and gals on here that know your shit and teach us things that have proven successful over time...KEEP IT UP, please.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Do you compost your chicken bedding? Everytime I clean them out I pile it up. I use alfalfa hay, shredded paper and any bags of leaves that I can scrounge up. Amazingly rich compost ready to use in a year. Mix it up a few times, keep it moist, or just be lazy and leave it lol. Bat droppings....jealous!!! I've put up bat houses and am hoping to have some move it.

Start making your own compost; save some money; know that it is biologiccaly active and nutritionally rich! Some bagged compost (or some sold by garden stores etc) contains a lot of woodchips, which, when they arent fully broken down, can rob nitrogen. So, with your bagged compost, it is fully possible that yourplants were a little N deficient. IF there was wood etc in there that was still decomposing. Next run you should be goood to go, and if it looks a little low on N, well, you do have that stash of bat guano

• Like Like x 1