Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. I like the update to re-using your organic soil. I think you could add an additional item for re-using your organic soil, EM-1 is awesome. I like to pull the rootball out, lightly break it up, and apply an EM-1 application. Speeds up the decomposition! Again, sweet thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ^EM-1 (or BIM) is excellent.

like your avatar btw. one of my favorites. :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  3. I found a new dry ammendment recently and I wanted your opinion ITG;

Roots Organics - Uprising Bloom

Its a series of dry ammendments, one for flower, one for veg, and a 'supplement'. Now they're all composed of the same thing, just in different ratios. There flower is the one I'm particularly interested in seeing as its the closest to your 'Tomato Tone' with a ratio of 3-6-4.

The label reads;

Roots Organics® Uprising Bloom (3-6-4) is a diverse blend of natural and organic ingredients specially formulated for maximum results. This formula is effective alone as an amendment or as a top dress for encouraging vigorous flowering and fruiting. However, it is particularly effective when used in conjunction with Roots Organics Uprising Grow for a plant's vegetative phase and Roots Organics Uprising Foundation as a supplement.

Obviously alot of marketing in that paragraph, its really designed to top dress there own soil that runs cold after a month...but looking past that, would it be a good dry fertilizer alternative to Tomato Tone...

Ingredients: Fish bone meal, oyster shell flour, kelp meal, greensand, soybean meal, glacial rock dust, alfalfa meal, feather meal, bat guano, langbeinite, rock phosphate, leonardite and hop flowers.

Pretty much everything is in there...and with NPK from multiple sources at that. Variety is good right?

Thanks for all your help :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  4. This parts sounds good, I don't like the marketing, playing the, dude use this for veg and this for flower, bro, it just seems too hydroish

• Like Like x 1
  5. #45 InTheGarden, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2012
    Hey Kesey. :wave:
    I think that the roots fertilizer you posted would be an excellent choice for the "dry organic fertilizer". Those ingredients are top-notch imo (soybean meal is iffy because of gmos but when buying a pre-blended fert you can't be as choosy as when you mix it yourself). I would absolutely use that fertilizer if it were available here. Good find!

But, you're right about mixing it into the soil vs using it as a top-dress. You can use one of the blends, or the other, or both (one would be fine I'm sure). Just mix it all in from the beginning. Clink is totally right about the whole "this for veg and this for flower" thing being way too hydro-ish. Plus it demonstrates a fundamental lack of knowledge about organic gardening. Organic amendments take a while to break down, so to get the most out of your "flowering" dry fert, you need to add it to the soil in the beginning. If you add it when you start flowering it's not going to do as much good.

One more thing- don't worry about NPK ratios. They are pretty much moot in an organic soil anyway since the plant is going to take up as much (or as little) N, P, K, micronutrients, etc. as it wants regardless of the ratio that we put in. Like you said, variety is good- the key is to have a variety of nutrients available from a variety of sources, and you're good to go.:smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  6. What a nice thread.

J

• Like Like x 1
  7. ^Thanks jerry, you have greatly contributed to my knowledge of organic gardening, so I really appreciate it! :smoke:

8. ^Word!

9. In hopes that I'm not the only one dense enough to have needed this cleared up....

even though my soil is "ready" I keep an eye on the thread and have been waiting patiantly for the Reusing post. I love it and was straight forward enough to understand. It did make me have a question about top dressing though. With as long as you've specified it takes the amendments to break down, if i do get the EWC, and maybe another amendment, would top dressing just be a waste and i should just use the leftover moss/soil builder to start a small compost pile and amend that? Then after a few weeks + use that to top dress with?

ITG's wonderful response, I hope this isn't some how offensive to you ma'am.

Hey Jmosley, I'm glad you liked the re-using part. I was worried it was going to be a bit more confusing since it's harder to structure that section with underlining, pics, etc. like I did in the other sections.

Top-dressing is definitely not a waste. Maybe I should have been more specific. Organic amendments do take a long time to FULLY break down, but they release nutrients while they are breaking down. I top-dress my pots. My favorite way of top-dressing is to sprinkle whatever amendment I am top-dressing over the soil, then top it with a nice layer of ewc. The microbial action from the ewc helps the top-dressing break down a bit faster. And remember that anything you are top-dressing, etc. is also providing nutrition for future grows.

I also really like the idea of taking the leftover soil builder and peat moss and mixing amendments in and letting that break down for a couple weeks, then top-dressing with that. I make a really "hot" batch of soil every once in a while, let it sit for a couple months (but several weeks would work too), then top-dress with that. Either one will work. Just pick whichever method appeals to you!

10. ^Hey Jmosley. I don't mind you posting that at all! Others may have the same concerns and hopefully that will help.

11. this thread is an instant classic, lots of easy to read info in one place

I vote for a sticky

• Like Like x 3
  12. #52 SoulDread, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
    Hey ITG what do you think of bone meal (4-12-0) and dried blood (12-0-0) and also instead of tomato tone, what do you think about Medina's. Also what if rock dust isn't available. I'm heading to home depot to make my own mix tomorrow. There are too many options to choose from. Its nice to have variety, but shit now I'm like a confused husband doing the shopping while the wife is out of town. Do I pick this or this? oh yeh what's up with the NPK ratio for organics...is there such thing as too much, dried blood has 12% Nitrogen?

**Medina's Growin Green Fertilizer (4-2-3)**
    It is derived from Kelp Meal, Humate, Pasteurized Poultry Manure, Molasses, and Greensand. Contains trace minerals including Calcium.

13. Hey Soul :wave:
    First thing-I would suggest you try to find a farm/feed store in your area and do your shopping there. They will have a much better selection of amendments and better prices. It will make this a whole lot easier, trust me.

I'm not a huge fan of bone and blood meal (especially blood meal) and here's why:

1)There are far better nutrient sources for your plants. Blood and bone meal are sort of "one-hit wonders" in that they only provide one or a couple nutrients. I also like to use plant sources over animal sources since plant sources also provide many beneficial plant compounds in addition to the macro- and micronutrients. For example, both blood meal and alfalfa meal are good sources of N. That's where it stops for blood meal-it contains some minerals but not very much. Alfalfa meal, one the other hand, is a good source of N and contains P and K. Alfalfa meal also contains many micronutrients, most notably Ca. Alfalfa meal also contains 16 amino acids, plus beneficial plant compounds like triacontanol, a powerful compound that promotes growth and branching. Clearly, alfalfa meal is going to do more for our soil than blood meal.

2) Blood and bone meal are slaughterhouse by-products. Aside from the ick factor, we can be pretty sure that the pigs/cows that the bone/blood meal comes from were not raised organically without hormones, antibiotics, and all the rest of it. I want to keep that stuff out of my garden. Not to mention that, personally, I have a problem with the way we raise and process animals in this country, and I don't want to support that. It's not even from an animal welfare perspective (although the animals deserve better too), more a consumer welfare perspective-we deserve meat from healthy animals, not ones that are pumped full of antibiotics and hormones, stuffed full of GMO corn and soy, and spend their lives ankle deep in their own feces. Blood and bone meal also carry the potential of pathogens-there have been several cases in the UK where gardeners where infected with mad cow disease through bovine (cow) bone meal.

There will usually be some bone meal in most dry organic fertilizers, like tomato tone, and I'm okay with that. But I don't apply it on its own.

As far as NPK ratios and organic gardening, you're better off not worrying about them. Focus on providing nutrients from a variety of sources (this is where the dry organic fertilizer comes in), and not the specific NPK ratios. With chemical fertilizers, NPK is more important because those nutrients are going to be force-fed to the plant whether it wants them or not, so you need to make sure to have the right balance of nutrients. In an organic soil, our plants use what they need and leave what they don't, so the NPK is really irrelevant-as long as you've got those nutrients in the soil, it doesn't matter what the specific NPK ratio is.

That Medinas fertilizer sounds good. If the price is right, you could just buy that and not have to buy kelp meal (since it sounds like the Medinas is mostly kelp meal-based). But I don't think the Medinas is going to be enough on its own. I would still suggest you try to pick up a bag of dry organic fertilizer like the ones I mentioned (tomato tone or garden tone or plant tone, Dr. Earth tomato and veggie, Down to Earth all-purpose). I like these fertilizers because they contain a variety of amendments, which is what we're looking for. You can absolutely grow healthy plants using just kelp meal, but you would need high-quality homemade compost or ewc in addition.

Basically, I would use the Medinas as your kelp meal source (since it's mostly kelp meal) if it's cheaper to do that than to buy plain kelp meal, and then add another dry organic fertilizer. Or you could use the Medinas combined with some alfalfa meal and a little bone meal. Bottom line is that I think you should add a little extra something in addition to the Medinas.

They most likely aren't going to have rock dust at Home Depot. They may have glacial rock dust or azomite at your farm/feed store. The cheapest option is to source granite dust from a local stone cutting place or a place that sells mulch/topsoil/gravel. They will sell you granite dust for very cheap (or may even give you some). Just a note-soft rock phosphate is a P amendment, not a rock dust, so that's not what you want.

Happy Gardening! :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  14. This should be a sticky and will be used by me as a recommendation to anybody who is curious along with the Indoor Gardening Without Bottled Nutrients sticky... :D Thanks ITG for the good vibes and cool thread... :smoke: :bongin: :wave:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hey NOOB, glad you liked the thread! Thanks for checking it out!:smoke:

16. Stumbled in here and I cant beleive Ive not seen this before!! Nice wealth of info here, thank you for sharing! Question for you, what sort of results did you get with the guano/compost break down that we mentioned some time back in PW's thread? I'd like to compare notes for possible future reference. Also, I think that it might be worth while in discussing guano a bit. There are soooo many back and forth debates on the subject that end up in spats and ends up being a waste of a read. Im sure that we might be able to speak in a civil manner here and maybe learn something..if its okay with you.

Some say that it doesnt work...others say that it does...everyone refers to its long break down time (which I dont really understand) and feel its not wirth the wait. How long does it take to break down? When we mentioned the idea of adding vermicompost to it and letting it break down before using, this is the subject that I had in mind. I hope this makes sense?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. AMazing thread thanks ITG.I cant rep you again yet!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wow! Truly an awesome thread that anyone could comprehend. I love it. I'm just starting organics my self so this is definitely a great thread. Although I made some mix and match of a soil mix before I found any of these organic's threads but it seems to be working fairly well now. BUt at first I definitely F'D up my seedlings by using a mix of JUST, MG peat and MG perlite................ And after reading a few organic's threads and just then assumed this was a HUGE NO NO! I then switched to my "Make-shift" soil mix. Thanks again for the info. I'll be around these threads now that I have a phone again.

Peace and love to all! :)

Toga

19. Hey DDD, glad you stopped by!:wave:
    I've actually got more amendments/products to add to the list, and guano is one of them. The guano/ewc slurry along with a kelp meal top-dress seemed to correct for the little issues that the girls were showing within a week or two. But I suspect that it had more to do with the ewc and kelp meal than it did the guano. In hindsight, I feel it would have been a better course of action for me to apply just an ewc slurry and kelp meal and see if that didn't do the trick.
    (for anybody that's wondering, we're talking about combining a few spoonfuls of guano with a couple cups of ewc, moistening it, letting it sit for a little while, then using it as a top-dressing)

I don't know the exact break down time of guano, I will do some research on it and see what I come up with. I have conflicting feelings when it comes to guano, and my issues with it have more to do with sustainability than anything else. I've been trying to move my garden in a sustainable direction as much as possible-which means finding local nutrient sources to replace amendments that aren't available here or that I would have to have shipped in. Shipping stuff across the country or buying products produced halfway around the world just doesn't vibe well with my view of what organic gardening is all about. Not to mention that guano harvesting is destructive of natural ecosystems and harmful to bat populations.

I had the old bag of guano lying around, so I used it. In my opinion, it taking a long time to break down is not really a deterrent, since I reuse my soil over and over again. The nutrients in the guano will eventually become available to plants in future grows. But the long breakdown time is of concern when looking for a relatively quick fix to a problem. Plants don't need nearly as much phosphorus as fertilizer manufacturers would lead us to believe, and I'm really starting to think that a P deficiency in an organic soil is evidence of some other problem, not so much an absence of P. Also, high phosphorus concentrations are actually harmful to soil microbes, especially mycorrhizae fungi. I will do more research on this and post up what I find.

I have tried a guano top-dressing before, and the guano/ewc slurry did seem to be far more effective.

20. I was taught that's the way p is in almost any system, garden, pot, hay field, lawn, ect,ect. The more I read about phosphorus uptake, the more it seems impossible for a plant to ever find enough usable p to survive, I sure glad the plants understand it better than I do, lol