Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. ...good work on the thread! ;)

2. Hey kartracer, glad you like it! I am working on the next bit and will hopefully have it finished within the next few days. It will definitely be finished this weekend if not sooner. Thanks for sticking around!

3. :bongin:

Patiently waiting...lol

:wave:

4. X2.:smoke:

5. Hey kartracer and pete :wave:

I added some updates on extra amendments and how to incorporate them into the soil. Next bit-more extra amendments and how to recycle the soil. Let me know what you guys think. I want it to be easy to understand so let me know if it needs work in that regard. Thanks for sticking around!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Diggin this post... already got my wife pickin up some of the ingredients... thanx for the help for the new guys =)

7. nice work itg, it's a nice easy read with lots of good info

8. ITG , Great contribution. Kinda wish I had seen this before i mixed up my first batch of soil. I may do this as well for a side by side test run- a great way to learn annd grow. Thanks again- love your style!

9. Hey Lf, thanks for the compliments, I'm glad you like it! There are lots of ways to build a good organic soil, and certainly diversity is a very good thing. My goal here was to come up with something simple for people who want to get into organics but are intimidated by having to buy a bunch of different amendments. I also wanted it to be an organic soil that could be built for under $50 with the idea that later on additional amendments can be added if desired. My own soil has a lot of things in it because I've re-used it and added to it over the years, but I have run many a plant with just tomato tone and kelp meal and they turn out beautifully.

• Like Like x 3
  10. #30 BingeBlaze, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
    Hey ITG, I've been following along pretty closely and picked up a bunch of stuff already. I was wondering how black velvet mushroom compost would work. Using it along with worm castings. I just picked up the supplies to start the worm bin in the garage. But I can also get some from a shop until its ready. I can't wait. we've got a ton of kitchen scraps.

Just for hell of it heres what i have: lowes organic sphagnum peat, plant tone, perlite, d. lime, and neem cake. Still trying to get a hold of some kelp meal, and rock dust and possibly/probably alfalfa meal. Compost where I live is surprisingly unavailable. I can actually get a hold of local nursery mushroom compost and VERY successfully used it in my outdoor garden. So I guess how would any mushroom compost work?
    Thanks for the Organic For Dummies walk through. Some of us need it.(me)

Oh and sorry about the length. Haha I meant for this to be a quick question

11. Hey BB,
    The mushroom compost will work. Especially if you use it along with some portion of good ewc. I understand what it's like to not be able to get decent compost in your area. In the past, when I couldn't get good compost, I've made an ACT out of my good ewc and watered/sprayed the mushroom compost with the ACT. I would recommend you go ahead and use an ACT on a couple bags of mushroom compost at once, because it's good to let it sit for a while. The worry with mushroom compost (if it's a substrate that was actually used to grow mushrooms) is the chemical fertilizers and pesticides used to grow mushrooms. But if it's all you can get, it will have to work, no.

Grab some kelp meal, good ewc, and rock dust and you will be ready to build an excellent soil my friend. Try and make the ewc at least 10% or more of your humus source (the more the better), then use mushroom compost for the rest. Save a little bit of the ewc to make an ACT to wet the soil with, and for top-dressing your pots. You're going to have fun with the worm bin. Glad you're going organic, best of luck with your grow! Ask any questions if you need help.

12. I'm from Washington State and not far from Keep it Simple Compos Tea guys. I would recommend their Alaska Humus.

Also, I might have missed it, but I didn't see Mycorrhizae on the list. Organic and Mycorrhizae were meant for each other.

Great thread!

13. #33 sm00thslp, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
    I was wondering what your opinion on ironite would be? I picked it up at the beginning of the year for my outdoor garden which heavily needed it. I started out using it after having small sulfur deficiencies, and I've never had a problem with it since. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, ya know.

Here's the Labels and MSDS from the website I have the 12-10-10 Ironite Plus. I just noticed the mineral supplement they have. What's your opinion on that as well if you don't mind? Since starting to use it,

It's dope thirty again!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. that stuff isn't even close to organic, at least what i've read anyway.

15. Not only that, i could be wrong but everything ive read says no sulfur... so if its used to remedy sulfur defic, i wouldnt use it.....

16. ^this. Ironite is not something you want in an organic garden. With a good humus source and kelp meal, you shouldn't need any additional mineral supplements.

17. Hey wong :wave:

You are very lucky to have access to the KIS products. I've also heard that their fungal compost is top-notch.

Mycorrhizae is excellent in an organic garden. However, the purpose of this is to be a basic mix for beginning organic gardeners, and myccorhizae is not a "must-have" to get started . But it is on my list of "extra" amendments/products that I will be updating later.

Thanks for the tip on the KIS Alaska Humus! :smoke:

18. Hey everybody. :wave:

I've updated with info on re-using your organic soil. I'm going to be editing and adding to it over the next day or two, so if you see any problems-if something isn't clear, needs more explanation, or you just think it's plain wrong-speak up and let me know!

Thanks for being patient!

• Like Like x 2

19. Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to compose this thread. Couldn't be put much more simple! I have to say that greatly enjoy the women's touches
    you've put into describing it.

:wave:

Pistol

20. Thanks pistol! Glad you like it. I've still got more additional amendments/products on the way. Maybe 2% of the info is original, the rest I learned by listening to people more knowledgeable than myself, but I am pretty good at 'splaining things. Thanks again for the positive feedback! :smoke:

• Like Like x 1