Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Thanks guys. +rep to you both. Mine's in a plastic trash can that I purchased specifically for this, so it's clean. :p No lid, just in a dark closet. I'll have to just let it cook longer since I haven't been keeping it moist. Longer the better!

Edit: lol @ "extra" MJ

2. Yes - keep the soil moist. Its best to have holes in the bottom of your storage container so that you dont get pools of anaerobic crap sitting on the bottom. I dont actually mix/stir mine after the initial mix - Id rather know that Im not messing with any fungal hyphae that might be growing in the soil by disturbing it, altho it wont hurt to do so.

As far as knowing if your soil is too hot Larz's idea is ideal - drop a marigold or similar cheapo plant into it and see how it does for a week; then you'll know for sure.

I have found it is absolutely best to let your soil cycle as long as you can before planting - I use at least one month but have still gotten some burn at the one month point with a fresh, strong mix. At two months any "burning" was well over and even fragile seedlings were just fine. It all comes down to nutrient cycling. Rushing wont do you any good and can and will probably burn your plants.

Be patient and plan ahead.

j

3. I was a bit concerned they'll mess w the roots.
    Guess I should have read the pamphlet that came with it. :D

To be honest I don't think i'll use my hand w these little creatures in it.
    the took works jus fine. I'm sure i've accidentally chopped up a few here and there. Ha.

Anyways thx!

4. I must have been fortunate to have a consistent bag, cause I've used the white compost and worked great for me. I also added ewc but it was dark and rich imo, I would use it again.

5. Well i originally mixed it around Thanksgiving. What happened was I mixed it with the minimal. Ewc, Kelp, humus, and perilite. Now that i have more amendments I mixed a blend of Blood, bone, alfalfa, SRP, oyster shells, DL, and feather meal. Added 1 1/2 c of the blended stuff to my soil. I was going to let it cook for like 2/3 more weeks, but i have plants that will be outgrowing their current pots. ITG says if you add anything let it cycle like 2 weeks from the addition, but Im not really sure. I would Iike like to use the new soil when i repot. I do have some that is recycled, and I only added some ewc, and humus to it just in case...Marigolds or beans...okay

6. found some earths finest decomposed granite that any good?

7. The recycled soil will be fine

8. should I then do a light top dressing of the amendment mix?

9. Picked up most of my soil mix today at the feed store for nothing :yay:

Alfalfa meal 37cents/lb
    Fish meal $1.40/lb
    Oyster shell $54cents/lb
    Rice hulls $1/5lbs

The kelp meal was the only one I couldn't find dirt cheap....got that for $10 for 5lbs...:)

Anyone in IL know some good local crab meal sources? It's the only amendment that I'm going to have to get online..just checked my local health food supply store and they carry neem cake..

Organics ftw!

10. Man, I wish I had local Oyster Shell somewhere.

Went with shrimp instead of crab in my mix, but as I understand it, almost any crustacean with an exoskeleton will substitute.

11. would this mix work better in a pot or in the ground, i live in the sunshine state. My spot for the ground has a creek next to it with plenty of water supply. If i were to plant it in the ground what would be the best dimensions of the hole?

12. Luckily I get CoM compost for $6 a CF but for an outdoor garden or for folks that have a hard time coming up w/ compost I'd give it a shot for sure.

J

13. How wet do we keep the soil durring cook first few weeks I got 15gallons mixed in a big tote just wondering how much water do I keep it wet with

14. You should be able to grab a handful, and tell that it's moist… but it should still crumble when you let go.. no clumps.

15. I'm sure this question has been answered but is this soil good for other plants too? Such as fruits, vegetables and other edible things?

16. I grow green/red peppers, jalapeños, habaneros, chile peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, basil, thyme, coffee, and chia in the same soil if the answers your question :)

17. Great plants bro. I am also in a water only soil and I have a monster SLH. What's your pheno's finishing time?

Sent from the Green Green Garden of Eden

18. I tried Fox Farms in my journey to Organics also. I experienced soil compaction that would not drain well. Poorly draining soil or inconsistent watering can cause ca/mg problems. Was it yellowing from bottom up little rust color possibly? Could have been same problem as me. We live and learn, then go to GC Organics section and stop wasting our time and learn to really grow.

Sent from the Green Green Garden of Eden

19. That's awesome man. I really want to start my own garden. Self sufficiency is what its all about! :D

20. can anybody chime in on the decomposed granite is it any good