Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. I was gonna buy all that to brew my own but other things came up and I've lagged it to try again. Lol spend all I can on hash.

-L9

2. Funny fact Ben... I just wanted to point out cause I'm crazy stoned and for some fuck'd up reason that's what popped out in my brain as I was reading this.:(

Merkin is a pubic wig worn in the 1700s. People shaved their pubes to keep from getting crabs. In steps the Merkin!!!!! Lol

No disrespect I'm an idiot.

3. Haha yeah to add on it was prostitutes who mainly had the crabs so the men would hook up with a prostitute, get crabs then have to shave down which was a give away to their wives that they were with a street walker. So shave down the pubes rock a Merlin and the old lady doesn't ever know

4. Hahaha Me and my wife go to this taco place called The Merkin. That is the only reason I knew that. Lol

Get your dirty tacos at The Merkin!:D

5. My granny told me about this years ago and I thought she was joking lol
    She said she needed a mullock, I think is what she called it. I had to ask what it was, She laughed and said it's a wig for a bald pussy. She was an awesome lady. Thanks for prodding my memory.
    She was born in 1892.edit
    mj:smoking:

6. This thread went from soil bacteria to beer bottles to bald vaginas.....I'm dying here ha ha while were talkin about vaginas....and bacteria.....lacto bac is a good preventative for yeast infections and well....its a deodorant.......carry on ha ha ha.

7. #3247 mindismoving, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
    m

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. So Jerry what do u say about using dolomite lime with promix bx what ratio would u add per cf of mix.... I am leaning towards not using it but I dunno...

9. Hey MIM,
    I was thinking the same thing, as far as using sulfur. Came up with something else with faster results, i think. I bought a bottle of molasses that still contains the sulfur. So im running a side by side. One with sulfur, and one without. Ill let you know. If you mix it in your soil globally let me know wich grow it is, and I'll pay close attention.....tooodles

10. read the thread great info! still have some ?

1.i want to use peat moss as a base and i know i need to add lime,what would be the best source of lime?

2.i know i can use alfalfa pellets instead of meal so when i go to the feed store anything i should look out for when grabbing a bag?

3. on the rock dust it would be better to use granite or basalt then azomite because of metals right?

4. i plan to use at least 9 cbft of peat moss how much perlite would i need i not good in the math department so please dont give me % lol

my goal is around 40 gal of soil if i get more thats better

11. 1. You don't necessarily need "lime" but essentially calcium. A better alternative is oyster shells and using crab shell meal in your ammendment mix has you well covered in the ph dept.

2. I don't think you have too much to worry about if your grabbin alfalfa pellets from the feed store, its the processed rodent pellets that have a few brands full of garbage.

3. Azomite is not considered a rock dust but a mineralization ammendment. Rock dust plays a crucial role in the formation and housing of the microbial activity. So seperate these two and add both at recommended rates

4. Ok say your 9cuft of peat is 2 parts that makes 1 part equal 4.5cuft. A good base soil is 2parts peat 1part compost/ewc and 1 part aeration. So you need 4.5 cuft of perilite but but I wouldn't suggest perilite as your only aeration ammendment, pumice, lava rock and rice hulls( since your at the feed store) are better alternatives.

No go take some math classes and keep on reading!! Ha ha happy gardening.

12. #3252 jerry111165, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2013
    ProMix already has a light charge of lime. I vote against adding more. Using quality compost/vermicompost in the mix will also help buffer/stabilize pH and crab/lobster/shrimp or oyster shell which are all almost pure calcium carbonate also help.

I'm not a giant fan of lime. Either way Pro Mix is already taken care of.

J

13. Instead of using crab shells, is it ok to use shrimp and crawdad (crayfish) shells ?

And to cook my soil is it a good idea to use a garbage can that I can buy at homedepot, and poke some air holes into it's sides or bottom? Thanks guys

14. I cooked mine in a 36gl Rubbermaid tote. Should work with a garbage can. Just gotta be able to stir it a bit.

15. Cool G-ma.:)

16. [quote name='"gingerholic"']

I cooked mine in a 36gl Rubbermaid tote. Should work with a garbage can. Just gotta be able to stir it a bit.[/quote]

Do you have any holes in your tote or no? Thanks man

17. I got a quick question. When I mixed my soil I followed the list exactly on the first page. The problem is I used 1 cup of Espoma garden lime in my soil but now I'm seeing a lot of people don't recommend that. It's been cooking for about a week now. So I'm wondering if its really that bad and should I get some oyster shell or just let I be? Thanks for the help

18. I think you will be ok, but hopeful one of the gurus will chime in. If you are concerned about it, mix up some more soil, leave out the lime this time, and mix the 2 soils together.

PEace

19. Liming agents are often a preference thing. Without getting into the whole thing - you'll be just fine. Dont sweat it or worry.

j

20. Thank you Jerry I was starting to stress about it