Easy hydroponics system?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by binonexus, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Do i need to have a reservoir and a pump to make a hydroponics?

I have a hose faucet right next to my plants and i was wondering if there was any way i could use that to make a hydroponics-esque system.

I have about 8' height, 1.5' depth and 6' width..

It is not a problem at all turning the hose on or something daily.. can any one help me with an idea?

If i just left the hose on way low and put a part of the hose above where i want the water to be and a hole for the pressure in the hose to go.. would that work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Don't think so. Check out bubbler setups, I think you'll find it is just what you want in a hydro system.

3. i'm pretty much just asking if there's a hydroponics system without a reservoir because i need all my space for growing.

4. Try making a bubbler system. I made one and it only cost me about $25 and one trip to Wal-Mart. I plan to make 2 more bubblers for my clones and one for flowering. I have noticed a huge gain in my veg system since switching from soil to hydro bubbler. You cant just run tap water through your plants or they will starve and/ or be killed by the chlorine.
    You will need
    A reservoir, I used a 3 gal rubber made plastic storage tub for my veg site, and I plan to use a small one gal tub for my clone rooting site and I will use a 15 gal tub for my flowering site. $5, $3, and $12 respectively. The tubs are clear so you MUST paint them to avoid algae. Paint the bottom black and put a piece of tape on the side before you spray it using “for plastic” type spray paint. Then peal the tape off after painting and bam you can see the water level with no problem. Cut holes for mesh pots in plastic lid using a hot knife method “ I tried a few other ways but the steak knife and propane torch worked best. Like Butter Baby”.

Air pump, I plan to have a minimum of 2 pumps per reservoir for redundancy. $10 for a 2 out put air pump

Air stones. Each planting site should have an air stone directly under it. Air stones$1.50 each

Mesh pots, what ever size you think you need. I start out in 2” pots then I will put the pot and associated roots into a 6” pot for flowering so it will not topple over under the weight of those massive sticky buds.

Substrate. You can go with the clay type or rock wool but I decided to go with small to medium diameter river rock. Its inert (wond affect pH) and cheep and heavy for support. Came in a 25lb bag for $4.00.

pH, TDS meter is an absolute must. Don’t start your hydro until you have one. $100 ( I know it sucks but it will pay for its self, for real

5. paying to much for your tubs go to dollar general. flood and drain. You can locate the resivoir outside of grow area.

6. LOL gotta save a buck. remote location is one advantage to the flood and drain. But I just had a good idea a few days ago, tell me what you think since obviously you know how curtail reservoir Temp is. I was grabbing a beer from my Minnie fridge and it hit me that if I put my air pumps in the Minnie frige I would be pumping cold air into my bubbler there by cooling the reservoir. I would need to put some small breather holes in the frige but I think it could handle the air turn over if it was set on a low setting. I then thought of hooking my co2 tank up to the frige to pump co2 into my system 3 time a day for 15 min at a time. The co2 would bubble through the water and float up through the foliage. Im not sure about the co2 idea cuz I don't know how that would affect the root system.

7. Absolutely not gator1, the Ideal temp for the res water is a 65 - 75, no higher, no lower. You do what your talking about and you'l have it down in the low 50s.

8. I know the optimum temp range is in the low/mid 70 for the roots. Obviously i would have to adjust the Refrigerator to a working temp which may be on the high setting if there is as much air turnover as i think there would be with up to 8 to 10 air pumps running in the frige. But i may be wrong and have to set the frige to a medium or low setting if its to cold. It would be a process of trial and error.

9. PS: Sorry about the thread hijack.

10. There is another option I'd forgoten about. Drip system.

11. I built my own drip system nice and low profile very inexpensive, works great.
    You can see it in my journal. Ive been trying to figure out a way to do a flood and drain or a drip without raising it for the gravity on the resevoir so if any one knows a way please share I could use the extra 5"....Good luck with your project

12. Right now Have a drip system and i was thinking of changing it to ebb in flow. What is the best system regardless to price and difficulty?

13. so i got a drip system set up, it's nice cuz i can put all my additives right into the water with a littlb bottle attached to the hose.

How much water am i trying to get with a drip system, should i have it constantly watering?

14. damn, i wish someone would do one of these with pictures and a step by step guide...itd be very nice... :)