easiest way to lower the ph of my soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Imalittleteapot, Jul 5, 2011.

1. its a little high. the run-off is in the low 7's and i dont want to add ph down to my water all the time.

2. I know some people use vinigar. I don't like how that might effect the taste of the bud, but I don't have PH probs, so I've never tried it.

3. I would not accept your readings as gospel, but would look at how the plants look first and formost, but if you are going to add something anyway i would use citric acid. You can get it in grocery stores look around the canning supplies. I add a tsp to a water bottle with a squirt top, then shake it up and add a squirt to your water until you get the ph you want....good luck.......MIW

4. Same here with the readings and the citric acid.

Garden sulfur will also lower your soil pH.

Wet

5. both my meters are accurate i also run RDWC 5gal system and i check my res ppms/ph everyday. 5.8ph lush green growth. so i know its dialed in.

the two big soil plants were showing signs of an iron deficiency. they shouldnt be deficient in anything so i checked the ph of the run-off (7.2). at that high of a pH iron starts to lock out.

i will probably go with garden sulfer...i can just sprinkle that on top of the soil and water it in right? i just dont want to have to adjust my water with anything before every watering/feeding.

6. I know 0 about RDWC, but if the plants are looking good .........

I've never used Garden Sulfur. My mix is peat based and acidic, so I'm normally using lime to bring the pH up.

But yes, AFAIK, sprinkle on top and water in, but I can't help you with amounts. I could with lime, LOL. Just go easy and keep checking and allowing it time to work. Like adding it, then giving it a week or so to re check the run off.

Wet

7. Tea pot I'm not questioning the accuracy of your meters, no doubt your reading are what you say they are. The soil ph may be different than what your meter tells you though. A true ph reading for soil is much more involved, than a simple run off test. And 7.2 is not all that bad.

And one reason I suggest using citric acid is, citric acid is exuded by the plants to encourage microbes to provide for them. So if your going to adjust your water, citric acid is a natural way. And the squirt bottle is very easy to use. Using sulfur is kind of touchy to get right. If you use it post your results I would be interested how you do with it.....MIW

8. hey thanks for explaining....
    now that you say that ill probably go with the citric acid method. sounds easier. Can i just use lemons?

9. [quote name='"mjmama25"']I know some people use vinigar. I don't like how that might effect the taste of the bud, but I don't have PH probs, so I've never tried it.[/quote]

Good advice

I also have no advice lmao

"Quality, over Quantity."

10. you could with lime eh? :p
    well than,I have the same type mix, super acidic(under 5.0), how much lime would you add to have it an acceptable level for rooted clones, but not to go over the mid sevens by the end of flower? If i was mixing it a couple weeks in advance aswell id assume

That's easy, 1cup/cf of mix. Dolomitic or Calcitic, your call, as long as it's NOT Hydrated lime. HD or Lowes should have both. The dolomite is ~$4/40lb bag and the Calcitic is ~$15/40lb bag.

Lime has a pH of 7.0 and usually doesn't go higher than that. My peat based mix usually hangs right ~6.8 or so.

A couple of weeks at least in advance. Lime is the second ingredient in my mix, right after the peat moss and in the soil garden, I add it in the Fall for the following spring. It's ground up rock, so fast acting, it's not, but effective, it is.

Wet

12. awesome thanks. im doing it fairly frequently as i have a small setup but its consistantly undergoing transplants etc. just didnt want my ph to  explode in a couple months :p