Easiest dry, cure and preserve all in one container

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by SkyKing65, Oct 13, 2018.

1. This is too easy to ignore: This procedure does away with all that jarring BS after chopping. For those of you that know me from my early grows (2012 & on) you know I grow for personal use only and keep it simple and organic. I always wanted to do away with all those frikken pickle jars and thought why not use a large bucket with a really tight fitting lid instead. Same idea as using jars but on a larger scale and only one lid to pop. I haven't checked, but, I'd be surprised if I were the first one to do this. Anyway, immediately after I chopped my last grow I cut all the branches/kola's (buds attached) to fit inside a 5-6 gallon bucket with a lid and continued the drying and curing process just like using jars. It was about a 4oz yield and fit loosely in the bucket. I never removed the buds from the branches and two years later that grow it's still in that bucket and the buds are just as fresh and dank as ever. My theory; those larger branches hold a goodly amount of moisture and release it very slowly keeping the buds in a fresh-like condition. It's sort of a natural humidifier. That wonderful odor is even still there. There's a lot of popping the lid for the first few weeks just like using jars, but, after that I just pop the lid once in a while to fill my daily usage stash jar. I'll be doing it this way from now on. Try it, keeping in mind the mold factor. I'm open to critique. Hi to "triple D" if you're still around.

• Like Like x 3
  2. I like the idea of keeping the "meat on the bone".
    I do things a bit different. I hang dry until ready to cure - then I throw garbage bags over groups of branches and push the air out and tie a loose knot. Once the buds remoisten I take the bags off. Works great - I do a couple moist/dry cycles until it's ready to store. Way easier than burping lots of jars or containers and I touch the weed less.
    I got a big amount this year so I might get a handful of those food grade buckets with Gamma lids. I've kept headstash on the branches but never my regular stuff I share with friends. Good idea to keep from using Bovedas.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hey Pboy, thanx for droppin in. I liked your phrase "meat on the bone", very cool. I used to do something similar to what you described, but it still didn't satisfy my need for simplicity. My bucket method is a one step process from start to finish. With exception of burping, there is no handling at all. I was most impressed with how fresh-like and dank this method kept my bud 2 years later. I'll never go back to those old school methods.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Well I come from a chef background so I tend to relate things to cooking. So your method is truly a "one pot meal" huh? Haha

I have one question about your method: do you hang dry the branches first, or do you immediately put green branches into the bucket?

I know another fella who hung dry his plant and forgot about it for 4 months and describes it as having air-cured perfectly. He must've had good temps and humidity though. I'm interested in all kinds of dry and cure methods - I also highly value efficiency, so I dig the possibilities with your bucket.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  5. No hanging at all. Right from the plant into the bucket. The physic's of why this is so effective is the larger amount of air space in a bucket verses a compact jar or small container. The more room the moisture has to do it's thing the less chance of a mold invasion, however, it can still happen if you're not on top of your burping skills. Most larger buckets are usually thick walled and have an incredibly tight lid; I used the larger "Lowes" bucket, about 6 gallon size. Much kudos on your play with the chef words "one pot meal". I too am Fond of cooking; small world. I have a hunch my method will catch on once it gets around. If you try it good luck. Let me know how you do. Ciao

• Like Like x 2
  6. Right from plant to bucket sounds risky, what is the humidity/temp where you are? This obviously worked for you but I would imagine if done in a high humidity area would be vary prone to cultivating mold.
    How long did you leave the buckets open before you started closing them? Did you have any fans blowing on the bucket or creating airflow in the area?

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 hakav3li, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    I too am interested in some details with this method. It's hard to believe you can chop and go straight to throwing them into the buckets without a hang dry. So after you chop down the plants and throw them in the buckets you leave the lid off and let them dry for some time before you even start considering slapping the lid on right? Can you describe the process a little more in-depth?

Are you trimming after they dry and cure in the bucket? Or are you chopping the plants down and then trimming before tossing them in the bucket maybe?

How much weight are you throwing in a 5-gallon bucket? I cure in 5-gallon buckets and it holds a lot of buds assuming they have been trimmed off the stems. Wondering how much you are throwing into the buckets on stems and how big the colas are? Are you keeping whole branches and colas and stems in tact? or feel free to break them up to make room for more, while being sure to keep the buds on the stems?

what exactly would you suggest we take away from this method? looks like one important difference you are stressing is to not pull the buds off the stems? leave as much branches and stems on as possible?? those branches take up a lot of space in the buckets wondering how much you are keeping on!

I have 4 outdoor plants that are ready to be harvested and i would love to test your method on them if you could chime in with some details to send me on my way! would appreciate it and thanks for your contribution man