Earwings on the garden

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Triple6Greens, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Do I need to worry about earwigs/pincher bugs in my soil?

I have found a ton of them in my soil under the mulch and I'm wondering if I needed to worry about them. I read they eat evetything , including good bugs

Should I introduce something into my garden to keep their numbers down? Or just let them be

2. According to this article they are mostly omnivorous, but like to eat smaller soft-bodied insects. They focus on decaying matter, but will burrow into and eat plant(s) depending on the cultivar and age/size(they prefer younger growth).
    Look for them on plant leaves and flowers at night, if you see them eating your plant(look for caterpillar-like damage) or worry that they are affecting roots(mass burrowing and orgies) they gotta go. These earwigs could be out competing a more beneficial or problematic biology(make sure you don't have root aphids too).

Some of the gentlemen around here might have a secret(or not-so-secret) organic solution for these guys, but I'm not aware of it. Most people remove the earwigs desired environement(mulch) from the soil beds and then trap them by presenting a more viable environment nearby where pest genocide can occur without affecting plants. I don't know if a mulch reset is viable in no-till gardening though, but a mulch reset could be less harmful than the pest in the long term depending on severity and success of other IPM strategies.

Earwigs Management Guidelines--UC IPM

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  3. @Juan Orfa

Very good Info, and this is what I was thinking. I don't think they are eating my plants but I can't speak for the roots... also I don't want them to over take my beneficial bugs, I may have to do some more research and see how to keep their numbers down...

I believe a good ecosystem should have prey and predators but when the predators start to take over they need to be delt with

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just looked up earwig traps and they are pretty simple to make

They are basically a container buried in the ground up to the lip

Fill it with oil and soy sauce

And boom... ear wig trap

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sounds like you've got a plan!
    Make sure you make your own as you've said. DO NOT buy one, they aren't very affective and could contain a number of things you don't want in your soil or garden.

It would be awesome if you could update us if/when the method you're pursuing works!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Will do.

• Like Like x 1