Early Signs of Cal Deficiency? Please help!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by MrSmoke, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Hi everyone, first grow here (bagseed). No real issues so far, plants are doing quite well and appear to be thriving - however a few days ago I started to notice the appearance of tiny brown spots on old leaves which only affect 2 of my 6 plants.

Grow Info Below:

Medium: 50/50 mix, coco coir, perlite w/ a bit of pellet dolomite lime (washed well + PH'd to 5.8)
    PH: Everything in at 5.8
    Nutes: 1/8 recommended strength FF liquid nutes (once so far)
    Lighting: LED lighting
    Temp/RH: 80F, 50% RH
    Watering Schedule: Leaning towards underwatering

[​IMG]

2. Hey Pastivity, thanks for chiming in!

5.8 seems to be the general consensus for coco coir as its more of a hydro grow than a soil grow.

In regards to nutes, I've been leaning on the side of "less is better" at this stage - remember, only two week old plants here. Also, the cotyledons have only yellowed on one plant (not this plant in the image), which I read in several places is a good indicator that a plant is ready to feed.

Also, I read in a few places that (like hydro), coco performs well to constant feeding at half the strength. No idea how valid that is. My plan is to start really slow unless I start to see something that indicates I should increase the nute intake.

Again, I appreciate the input. The above statements are simply my understanding of what I "should" be doing. I'm doing my best to monitor these guys/gals and trying not to overdo anything (as that seems to be a common folly of first time growers).

3. Hey.

Its not characteristic of a Ca def.

And yes, it is a mobile problem.

Im kinda wondering if it could be a certain type of Leaf Miner...

Upon feeling the dots and visible damage, do they have a contour to them, like braille ???

Is there a black dot in the centre of the circles ???

When ya take the blade between thumb and forefinger, can ya feel a little "packet", sandwiched between the tissue layers ???

If so, its a Leaf Miner.
    Let us know man.

Freak
    :smoking:

4. #4 MrSmoke, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010
    Awesome detective work going on here. Thanks!

I suspected CAL def due to this pic:

[​IMG] Which comes from AskEd's Coco Coir guide : http://forum.grasscity.com/coco-coir/620656-askeds-coco-guide.html

..however was thrown off in that everything I've read/seen on Cal Def indicates that my plant is too young to show signs.

Regarding your questions:

1. No contour at all - it just looks like a dead spot.
    2. No black center

Now if its a mobile problem, could it be the damage from an early problem that has simple become more pronounced now that those leaves are larger?

Reason I suspect that is because I did not have proper PH for the first week. I also believe I stressed them a bit by having the light too close.

All of the new leaves coming in are flawless.

5. This could be the prob too. It happens alot. Old Ph battlescars dont go away !!!

If I had to pick what def it is Id say micronute Iron. But your nutes and everything seems just fine. I wouldnt change a thing your doing. Keep an eye on the new growth tho,
    just to be safe.

Freak
    :smoking: