Early Sexing

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 1sttimegrower, Nov 8, 2011.

1. How early can one sex plants? I have seedlings going outside now for sexing; they are 2 weeks old with 3-4 leaf sets and nodes. Is this a bit early to throw them out to check what they are? Im NOT flowering, just leaving them out for a week or so to get preflowers.
    Pics attached
    Appreciate any help

Attached Files:

2. #2 hostileguy, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2011
    yes, 2 weeks is a decent enough time to sex a plant, but 2 weeks of veg(seedling) then 2 weeks of pre-flowering and then back to vegging.... works, but could possibly stress the plant if not done right. Instead it is wiser to take a clone from the plant and force the clone into flowering after maybe a week of initial veg(of the clone), during which the parent plant continues to stay in veg cycle.

3. That's another idea I was entertaining, but ultimately rejected it. I started them early, and decided to waste vege time by doing this, haha. I also didn't have space to vege them out normally; instead of Xplanting up I kept them in those tiny containers, and going to keep them in the containers until sexed, because the next stage is basically my scrog set-up with lights 24/0 on a clone atm. 2 weeks to preflower seems a bit long; has anyone done it in shorter? My buddy sent his plants outside for 3 or 4 days, then took them inside and he got some preflowers growing; does this not work 100% of the time?