Early sexing

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by joemamma98, Jul 19, 2010.

1. #1 joemamma98, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
    I have about 50 bagseeds going. Things are going well. All plants are about a foot tall. I am looking to pot them into bigger pots, but I was hoping not to pot the males. I have read some things on early signs of sex, but have not been able to find the info again.

Does anyone have any info on sexing before the males show pollen sacks?

2. What you'll be looking for is preflowers, but they don't show until around 4-5 weeks, around the fourth and fifth node IME.

[​IMG]

3. A whole sticky thread on sexing at the top of this forum, that's why it's there... :rolleyes:

You're working on 50 plants and don't even know how to tell sex? Sorry, but it sounds like you are biting off way more than you can handle, you should have started smaller so you could learn more this time around. I'm afraid you will have many challenges with this grow...

4. If you read correctly......I am looking for early sexing. I know what a fem looks like and what a male looks like. And Oh YEAH, Ever heard of a "hermie"?

I have 50 bagseed goin and 175 kind strains goin. I have more than a few grows under my belt. Believe me, I am doin just fine. Just about to make second harvest of the season and I live in the North East. If you need any tips, "toastybiz" let me know.

Just wanted to know about very early sexing. I have always grown fems so I don' t have to waste time, effort, soils and nutes on boys. Just thought someone could shed some light on this.......Thanks "Fool on a Hill"

5. :rolleyes: I read you quite fine. The only way to tell what sex it is is by looking at the preflowers, which I showed you. There's no other legitimate way to sex a plant.

6. Sorry "Fool on a Hill" I was replying to "toastybiz". He obviously did not read me clearly. He thought I was asking the difference between a male and female. Not undstanding that I was looking for the difference between a male and female in early stages of growth.

I appreciate the info and Diagram you posted. Helped greatly. I used my microscope and was able to see the differences in this early preflower stage.

Thanks again

7. Without sexing the plants in a 12/12 environment the sex cannot be determined until the pre flowers show. The sex is not determined until just before flowering, so the pre-flowering plants could go either way until you see the flowers appear when the dark cycle lengthens.

8. #8 DreaminGreen, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010

You sure are sensitve. You would think that with someone who grows so many plants that you would know. Also you are crazy for posting online that you grow over 225 plants. And, this sounds made up.

9. #9 samson32, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010
    Not cool. I actually gave you some pretty solid advice until I read through what you said and it honestly ticked me off. toastybiz has 8,458 posts.. You however have 23.. Oh by the way I went through your posts.. Did you not think that was possible? Here is a recap for someone who has multiple grows under their belt and has over 255 seeds going.. I'll note the newbie mistakes (keep in mind there is more than what I point out) ..

4-23-10
    Yellow spots on seedlings-
    Can anyone give me advice? I have 20 or so seedlings about 10 days old. Only one or two sets of leaves. They are Swiss Cheese, Shortrider and Kaya Gold, all fems. I am getting some yellow spots and some overall yellowing on about 8 of them. One is just limping over. I have them in a miracle grow potting soil, Peat, Perlite and Horse dung mix. Lots of peat to keep it airy. They are under 2, 40 watt 4' grow lamps 24/7. Any thoughts? I don't wanna loose the little guys.
    Seedlings do not need 24/7 because they need dark to develop roots.. Mistake number 1.. I'm also betting the mg you used had time release nutrients if so mistake number 2.. I'm sure there are a couple more, but I'll just move on..

4-30-10
    I'll just summarize..
    you took some autoflowers and cut off all the colas trying to top when they were a month in flower already.. Could you really not tell? Heres what you had to say.

Yeah, the more I read about this strain, the more I realize, I screwed my self. I have always grow non-dwarf strains and expected a simliar grow that was a shorter plant but quicker budder. I didn't think about the short length of the veg state. I went and topped all my plants thinking I would make two colas. Not realizing they were out of the veg state and in the flowering stage. Now I think I have chopped all of my colas off in the first few days of budding. y in flowering..

Also 4-30-10 you decided you wanted to make feminized seeds by using birth control and banana peels. That is said to help encourage the plant to be female, but does not control the seeds being female

Those can be mistakes 3 and 4 although I saw plenty more I'll just do each post as a mistake

6-8-10 fertilizers.. you say you know about growing and say it is all so conflicting info and need to be narrowed down to one for each cycle, but you had no clue what dose to feed to your plants and how often or how to adjust your ph

Mistakes 5, 6, and 7 by now you should know how to adjust ph and what dose as well as what kind especially with that many grows under your belt

6-14-10 your crop has mold and also this lovely post about germination
    I have germinated hundreds of seeds. Never had any issues. I began getting seeds for Nirvana-shop.com. I have bought about 80 seeds so far. I have germinated a few different ways. Nothing seems to give me consistent results. Sometimes they pop and sprout well. Other times they pop a little and then they stall out. If I use bag seed, I always have perfect results. What gives?

Really? Mistakes 8 and 9.. you have germinated 100s of seeds and still have no consistent method? Plus you have mold?

7-19-10 cloning not even going to go into detail.. quote
    I like your DIY how to make your own clone machine. I will be building one of these. Can you do any cloning with out a misting machine? ie. using perlite or peat a substrate.

The misting machine would be to foilar feed because your roots haven't set if you don't mist them how can they possibly take up water? It would have nothing to do with perlite because there are no roots to absorb the water

Mistakes 10 and 11

And finally early sexing.. Today as well.. You SHOULD NOT come into a forum and bash someone who is trying to help you by stating how much you know about growing when you in NO WAY can compare to that person..

I have 50 bagseed goin and 175 kind strains goin. I have more than a few grows under my belt. Believe me, I am doin just fine. Just about to make second harvest of the season and I live in the North East. If you need any tips, "toastybiz" let me know.

That was your biggest mistake because that one comment led me to look through your posts only to discover that you are in NO WAY a experienced grower.. You also posted in the Absolute Beginners thread when a couple threads down is a thread for outdoor growing.. You should probably look into a new screen name because who can possibly take you seriously after all of that? You are a NEWBIE looking for growing advice and you are too lazy to LOOK IT UP when you should have. If you are going to keep asking advice like this then I suggest you DO NOT insult someone else such as toastybiz by saying YOU could give THEM advice.. HAHA.. If they took your advice they would have a ton of wasted seeds, wasted dollars, crappy soil, dying seedlings, mold, no flowers (because they would be chopped in flowering) and an exaggerated imagination of going from 20 seeds that were dying to over 255 that all of a sudden are amazing? Sorry to be harsh, but after insulting an experienced grower like that you shouldn't expect anything less.

Oh and I also would like to add that if you had not insulted toastybiz that I know of 3 different ways this can be done.. Nothing 100%, but all three can be done in the vegg state to determine what you are going to get.. Reason I know this.. I looked it up which I think you should take the time to do that as well..

10. If you want to make sure you got Fems, why not take some clones from your 50 plants and force them into flower. Sure they will die but your looking at 1-2 weeks and you should have an answer.

11. LMAO Samson thats some funny shit.

I kinda figured it out when he said he already has 150 kind bud plants and decided to grow bagseeds. WTF why would anyone do that.