Early harvesting of top buds on a monstercrop

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by BobFarmer, Oct 15, 2020.

1. #1 BobFarmer, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    A friend of mine has a question and asked me to post this for him.

Hi everyone. My first post this, as I have found it harder and harder to find the answers I seek in others' existing posts.
    I have a Bubblegum+ (a "photo" from Bulk Seed Bank) She was germinated 7 months ago; then I f**cked up with the lighting schedule and she was flowering whilst only 7-10cm long so I did some reading and discovered all the revegging/monstercrop posts. She is today a quite adequate (for my tent-roof space) 120cm from soil level.
    However I went a bit OT on the dolomite chalk because of earlier grows with high acidity and the resulting pH/nute uptake problems. You might say I have cycled though most of the beginner f**kups and tried to learn from my mistakes. I have LEDS, so AC is not an issue. Anyway this time I was looking at a pH of 7,5-8 and of course the resulting nute take up problems (again!); that happened as soon I put her on the flowering schedule (11/13). We are 5 weeks into flowering as I write. During veg the high pH wasn't an issue, presumably since the N take up wasn't as heavily effected, if at all
    Now, since the snaffu, things have been stabilised at 6,5 since a week back (apple cider vinegar) and the buds at the top have quite obviously been getting their food. Pots are going dry etc. 30% brown pistules/hairs. The lower buds are, however, very popcorny and not really to my satisfaction despite the earlier problems that have obviously lowered my expectations of a bumper crop.
    I am totally out of stash and have some Marleys on the way, so the future is bright anyway.
    I guess my question is this:
    Can I harvest the "satisfactory" buds at the very top.
    (They are sugary and sticky with as I said about 30% brown)
    The fan leaves are in in very bad shape from the pH problem and I am just looking to make something out of a bad situation. I would like to leave the popcorns lower down on her for 3-4 weeks longer and hope for them to get a bit better in size. Being that she is a monstercrop I have 11 or 12 "main stems" and so also 12 colas and a shit load of lower level popcorn. Most of the fanleaves from half way up going down have fallen off (yes, really bad).
    I hope that was enough for a good answer and that it might help someone else here too :)

2. Cmon guys and girls? Someone must have an answer?

3. I would day yes to your question, why not?
    I do it with outdoor crops, ill be taking the top 3rd of two plants off in a couple days myself as there over my 7ft6in of height space I have. Moved them inside to finish as frosts are setting in where I live. Now have done this last year I found the lower buds really didn't fatten up like one would think. In the end I had a pile of .5 to 1g nugs from leaving them a couple more weeks. The smaller tops I had left were some of the tastiest bud I've ever had and had a hell of a buzz. Though smoking it myself it was worth it.

4. So you mean staggering the harvest like I said would be a lot of wait for very little gain with a reveg/monster or does this apply generally?. Ive tried a staggered harvest with some autos once and it was a bit disapointing, so I'm not a big fan. Just chop the whole girl down and make oil from the popcorn maybe?

5. Its really just giving the lower smaller buds good lighting for a weeks time, maybe. Just long enough to let those go all amber. Then its all taken for kief and butter. Might blast this year's batch just because there's so much BS bud from a shitty season where I live.