E-Mail the White House Sent Me Regarding Marijuana Legalization

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bluntzilla420, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Addressing the Legalization of Marijuana

By Gil Kerlikowske, Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy

Thank you for participating in We the People and speaking out on the legalization of marijuana. Coming out of the recent election, it is clear that we're in the midst of a serious national conversation about marijuana.

At President Obama's request, the Justice Department is reviewing the legalization initiatives passed in Colorado and Washington, given differences between state and federal law. In the meantime, please see a recent interview with Barbara Walters in which President Obama addressed the legalization of marijuana:

Barbara Walters:

Do you think that marijuana should be legalized?

President Obama:

Well, I wouldn't go that far. But what I think is that, at this point, Washington and Colorado, you've seen the voters speak on this issue. And as it is, the federal government has a lot to do when it comes to criminal prosecutions. It does not make sense from a prioritization point of view for us to focus on recreational drug users in a state that has already said that under state law that's legal.

…this is a tough problem because Congress has not yet changed the law. I head up the executive branch; we're supposed to be carrying out laws. And so what we're going to need to have is a conversation about how do you reconcile a federal law that still says marijuana is a federal offense and state laws that say that it's legal.

When you're talking about drug kingpins, folks involved with violence, people are who are peddling hard drugs to our kids in our neighborhoods that are devastated, there is no doubt that we need to go after those folks hard… it makes sense for us to look at how we can make sure that our kids are discouraged from using drugs and engaging in substance abuse generally. There is more work we can do on the public health side and the treatment side.

2. Is it too much to spell out what Obama wants to see regarding even marijuana? He says he's not for legalization then shifts the focus to congress and ends with 'I'll be tough on violent criminals' bs.

He doesn't seem to have a problem saying he wants more taxes from "rich" people, that he wanted Ghadaffi out of power, that he wanted lower interest rates for student loans, etc, et fuckin cetera. But baby jesus forbid he says what he wants regarding marijuana.

3. Eh, he's trying to avoid pissing off either side of the argument and thus 'passing the buck' onto Congress. While his opinion may make a difference in what they do, technically he is right. An act of Congress began the CSA and it requires either an act of Congress or Federal Court to change it.

4. Who cares what the federal law is the people have spoken they want it legal in those two states

5. Didn't Obama already forsake his stance four years ago?! If anyone is still hanging on his words about legalization their retarded. Let me say it again, retarded.

6. He seems to say whatever the popular thing is in regards to straight up politics, almost completely ignoring that the people in states like Colorado have spoken on the ballots -- just as people spoke up to reelect Obama -- and are getting short-changed. It's sad when federal and state laws are used essentially as excuses to delay the progress of something that people have overwhelmingly supported for a few years now.

Money > Weed

7. Its interesting to see Obama didn't immediately say down with the pot smokers!

He acknowledged the increasing coverage and debate, stating he would converse with congress

It comes down to what the shadow key players and corporations want.