E-Cigarettes: A How-To With Canna

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by BadKittySmiles, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Ok, I'm going to try and get the tincture recipe up today guys. If I can't find the pics I took for it a few weeks back, I don't see any reason that I shouldn't just make up a fresh batch, I have a fresh gallon of nice natural veg glycerin after all :)

2. Thanks for all that info. I've had e-cigarettes from China and they all worked well, except one broke for no reason - even though it looked virtually indistinguishable from the others. Most likely American companies by thier e-cigs from China, right? So I might as well look around for a good Chinese model with good reviews. Do you have any site in mind that might point me in the right direction?

I'll be waiting for the tincture recipe. :)

3. E-smokeytreats.com is good for Joye models, cignot.com, phoenixvapor.com, valleyvapor.com... hopefully sharing these sites doesn't pose a conflict of interests, they have nothing to do with canna, I'm pretty sure none of the above sites carry traditional vaporizers. Stealth no. 7 is a good 510, but it's sold by a website carrying average and commonly known vapes as well.
    With all the knock-off's floating around it's important to know who you're buying from, otherwise I'd just say google and pick whoever looks good and cheap.

Cheap usually means fake if it's a popular brand name, and if you know that the kit is 10-15 dollars more everywhere else you look. So if you can't afford a better model it's better to order safer but unbranded no-name kits from reputable vendors, than it is to buy a product that is suspiciously cheap, and claiming to be something it's probably not. You never know what you're inhaling as the materials break down from heat.

Manufacturers release alerts when they are aware reproductions are being sold. Knock off's, and cheaply manufactured e-cigs, nearly had the entire concept banned in many countries including the US, the models that were tested and turned up traces of carcinogenic and cancerous materials were unlicensed, but very realistic reproductions, and lesser, cheaper products. It's only slightly better now, but they're still not regulated much at all.

I'd try to choose a site local to your country or continent, check e-cig forums. For whatever reason, the shipping is generally incredibly inexpensive and bizarrely fast, or at least it has been with nearly every e-cig site I've used...people really need their nicotine I guess, lol, it's a very competitive business.

And yes, nearly all e-cigs are manufactured in China regardless of the vendor or branding, so there's not much use in trying to avoid them :) But there are nearly as many copies and fakes as there are legitimate e-cigs on the open market, so you're just as likely to get the best, and the worst e-cigs when ordering direct.

4. Still waiting to hear if anyone else on GC has tried their glycerin tinctures in e-cigs or vaporizers, besides Will and myself. The better and more 'mature' the tincture, the greater the effect in low-temp machines, remember.

I have cut down hugely on how much I combust. As much as I love traditional table top vapes, they never did that for me. I always wanted another bong or bowl to finish myself off. Which is of course somewhat true of the e-cigs, but they're so pleasurable with a good strong tinct and some lovely flavors. It's just easy and low maintenance, a few more drops then I'm good. It takes much less tincture vaped, than it does sublingually, so I run out of hash/oils at less than half the smoking speed.

Things have been very busy here, I've been showing the house three times a day some days. Once everything settles down again, I promise I'll be back with another few tips and recipes.

5. Hey where is the tincture recipe?

6. Link in sig

7. Thanks Will, I've memorized yours already though. I think BadKitty was gonna hook it up with a variation - part tincture part ethanol. I could use your method in combo with a standard GD, mix at 1:3 alc to glycerine, but I'd love to see any tips or tweaks she has that matter specifically to e-cigs.

8. I've been recommending WildWill's recipe, and that people read the pages in his thread for tips and advice. I promise I'll post how I make up my own once I either find my old photos, or have the time to make up a fresh batch of tincture to take some new ones. :)

For a table top vape bud glycerin tincture works fine, it's actually better I think especially if you're trying to capture the flavor of the bud itself in a more concentrated form.

But with an e-cig for potency, and your atomizers sake, use hash rather than bud, especially with heat processing.

Eventually the glycerin does pick up some chlorophyll and plant waxes (I've had plant material come out translucent and 'brittle' after several months of heat-less steeping).
    So by using hash, you'll not only spare your atomizers which will burn out when exposed to too much plant matter, but the glycerin will have a greater holding capacity for cannabinoids, when it's limits aren't being wasted on any unnecessary materials, if that makes sense.

So when processing, contain your glycerin and hash well during the heating process, or you'll vape off some valuable potency.
    The more time you invest, the more hash you can eventually liquefy and 'fit' into the glycerin.. test its limits :) And be very gentle with the heat.

If you burn the glandular material within the glycerin, not only can it degrade and lose some small amount of potency, but it will damage your e-cig atomizers, and should be reserved only for oral consumption, table top vape, or even sisha, if you're ok with combusting glycerin. It's not my preference, but most shisha recipes do call for a ratio of vegetable glycerin, adding a vg tincture is one way of prolonging the smoke in a water pipe or hookah, without thinning out the potency like you would by making traditional shisha.

----

On a personal note, I'm sorry I haven't been available as often lately. For anyone who isn't aware, the reason I've been coming and going so much is I've been in the process of selling my house. I've stealthily managed to keep some clones and mothers going bonsai-style, I'm hoping to rig up a false room here shortly so I can flower some of these things out before they get too stunted. Some months are slow and we'll have no looky-loos for weeks, some months we have viewings a few times a day nearly every day. In almost two years and dozens of viewings, I've only had two almost-offers. Makes me realize I took renting a bit for granted, lol. I also have a stomach disorder that has been putting me out of commission more and more frequently, if I do disappear for any great period of time I'm probably doing just fine and having some testing done, and I'll be sure to have someone check in here for me if I don't think I'll be back any time soon :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. It took me 17 minutes to write that, I know because your post wasn't there when I started, I must be well medicated today :)

Paleo I think I may have given a fairly close estimate of my own dilution/ratios for your final glycerin e-liquid in the flavors section, but you can play around with the ratios to get the desired effect.. thicker vapes that deliver more to your system in less time for an eventually more powerful effect but (for me at least) seem to a bit take longer to kick in, thinner vapes that feel effective almost instantly, but are more mild in effect for all day medicating (I like these blends when I'm driving, or if I just want to enjoy a flavor).

I may not have mentioned this in the flavors section, but if you don't wish to use a flavor, to make an original blend you would just follow the same water/alcohol ratios and skip the flavoring, then blend in your glycerin tincture as described :) And again the ratios can definitely be tweaked for the desired effect, the thickest liquids or pure glycerin tinctures should ideally only be used with table top/traditional herb vapes.

10. FRICKEN AWESOME!!! +++REP

and I got a kick outta the fog machine... I cant wait till my next party. lol

11. Marry me? :hello:

Absolutely incredible amount of quality information presented in an extremely thought out and effective method.

+1 for sticky and +rep.

In short, I applaud you :hello:

Blaze on :smoke:

12. #33 jambandphan03, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2011
    I started working on this about a year ago after my boyfriend got an e cig. I made a strong VG tincture that I slow heated (double boiler) daily for 2 weeks, keeping temp below 180f, and then also made a strong (grain)alcohol tinc, mixed them and evaporated most of the alcohol, then to clean up the waxy plant oils, I spun it in a centrifuge. End product seems to be working fine in the e cig, I do get build up that I have to clean, and dry burn regularly. I have tried mixing different flavors, with varying results. I have to say the effect is much more like eating it, mild, slow, and does not seem to cloud the mind unless you chain vape. I personally had a problem with the PG, it did not react well with me, so I went right to the VG. My only concern is sometimes I get a slightly thick feeling in my chest if I vape VG tinc. too deeply, feels like a thick coating on my lungs, so I have not been inhaling as much as rolling the vapor in my mouth and exhaling through the nose. I believe the thc absorbs in the mouth/nose just as effectively as inhaling it. I also found you can remove the wick/bridge and smoke bubble hash or keef or even small amounts of ground herb directly on the coil. I had to cut them apart to expose the coil for easier access, so it requires a bit of tinkering and some tools. I medicate this way more now than with the e-tincture, but with the new clear cartomizers and tank systems coming out on the market, I think I will give the tinc. anther try. Any ideas on shelf life of a mixed tincture? I have had mine since March of '10, I keep it refrigerated.

13. how well do these really work?

^^ sounds like u just started smoking it instead of using an ecig at all?

14. Hi all.
    I was wondering If I could ask one or two questions.

First when you guys and gals say hash I take it you mean hash from the bud? Hash where Im from is dark horrid stuff with bits of plastic bag in it.

Also I am an avid e-cig user. So when making up my bottles of meds could I use Wills tincture but follow the same instructions and measurements as in the first page in this thread?

Thanks for your help, I can be a little dense sometimes, and this thread really is awesome thank you so much.

Regards
    Arp.

15. Awesome info, thanks for making this. I'm going to be ordering an e-cig called "Green Smoke" that uses cartomizers, and their customer service seems top notch.

How much hash would it take to fill up like 5 cartridges? And how long does a cartage last, compared to analog joints?

Now off to find some hash in the most conservative state in the country >.>

16. Can you direct drip instead of using the carts? I never use the carts anymore just direct dripping, a lot easier for me

17. awesome, i want one!

18. I wanted to start something like this myself but I am somewhat concerned about the recipe. I once heard that the cooking of glycerol under oxygen deprivation will result in producing the toxic acrolein as end product. Or does this only happen if you cooked it too hot?

Can I just use propylene glycol instead of glycerin?

Have a nice day :smoke:

19. #40 BadKittySmiles, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011
    Acrolein production occurs at a certain specific temperature range.

Whether you seal your container or not, you need to be certain you avoid surpassing temperatures higher than 350 f (the acrolein production is actually achieved at a slightly higher temperature, but I feel better/safer sharing a lower 'maximum' number to avoid), which is much, MUCH higher, by nearly 100 degrees, than you should really ever be processing your canna in the first place.

Glycerin will produce (healthy) vapor before it combusts, this vapor is used in factory and hospital ventilation systems, even with the newborns. In other words, you would degrade and vape off a great deal of potency, long before you produced acrolein. Oxygen deprivation can hinder burning, and hinders the production of acrolein. However, a sealed environment is more prone to temperature spikes. And again, acrolein production it is more about temperature, so monitor your heat source very, very carefully.