Dying Seedlings :(

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Scissornug, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Hey there.

Can someone help me out. I germinated 2x starryder autos 14 days ago. Everything seemed fine at first, but a few days ago once they had their first set of leaves, I noticed they were falling over, and they couldnt support their own weight.

The base of the stem is crimped essentially where it meets the soil. I had propped them up, but I lost one 2 nights ago. Went to bed and it seemed fine , but when I woke up it was all curled up and crispy brown in the leaves. Now the other one looks to be heading the same way.

I am using biobizz light mix, but I did not add extra perlite. With 3 cfl's 23 watt (2700k) about 2 inches from them. Now the other one looks to be heading the same way and I dont know if its going to last the night.

Sorry for the crappy photo, but the box is where the stem is about 25% the width of the rest of the stem, and the arrow is where the first leaf is curling.

I have another one germinating as we speak to replace the one I lost, but I dont want the same thing to happen to it. I dont have a decent fan (just a pc fan blowing on them) unfortunately and cannot get 5600k cfl's. I posted already but noone replied, so can someone please help me out this time?

Attached Files:

• wut.png
      wut.png
      File size:
      801.8 KB
      Views:
  2. #2 Ẅest Čoast, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
    Need more info.

Which biobizz soil mix are you using?
    How often are you watering?
    What are the temperature like right at the top of the plant?
    Distance between the plant and the cfl bulbs?

3. #3 Scissornug, Jun 19, 2014
    Oh man thanks for reply.

Watering every 3 days @ about 500ml in an 11 litre pot, plant was about 2 inches from CFL but I just moved it down a bit. Temperature could be a factor alright, Ambient is 20c- 68f right now, but I dont have a thermometer just yet so I cant tell you specifically. It feels sweaty hot when I stick my head in there though, which is why I moved it down a bit.

I have done a fair bit of research, and the seeds are dutch passion, so I'm pretty stumped..... When I pulled the dying one yesterday the soil felt moist, cool and fluffy but not soaked or anything....

Soil is lightmix and the plant is in the soil since 05th....

4. And which biobizz soil are you using?

5. Biobizz light mix , I havent given any nutes or anything yet, just tap water thats been sitting out a few days. I have biobizz grow and bloom, but was waiting for week 3 to start introducing a weak grow solution.

6. #6 Ẅest Čoast, Jun 19, 2014
    I'm thinking the soil is burning up your seedlings. They use compost and other organic ingredients, but won't list what they actually use. If you google 'biobizz light mix burning seedlings', you will find quiet a few people having similar issues as you. Can you get any other potting soil without any nutrients in it? You can then make a 50/50 mix with biobizz soil and transplant your seedling.

7. Thanks a lot man.

Thats a shame, not sure if I can get nutrient free soil any time soon cos I live in the middle of nowhere, so I might need to let these ones go and start again when I have a better setup. Sucks that this might be the case, because I read lightmix was the way to go for seedlings.

Will do some more research on that and be better prepared next time. I guess some 5600k bulbs and a proper fan would be in order too. I'll update if she makes it through the night. Lord have mercy on the germinating seed unless I can get some nutrient free soil soon lol.

Cheers for the assist. ;)

8. Just wanted to ask another quick question regarding soil.

I'm having trouble tracking down any soilless mix online in this shit-hole country. If I ordered a bag of perlite and a bag of vermiculite and mixed it 33/33/33 with the biobizz light mix, would that be a good medium for future grows? Want to try and save the germinating seed before its too late and the earliest I can probably get it is Monday.

My only other option would be to replace the lightmix entirely with either Canna light mix or Plagron light mix Anyone have any experience using these? All European brands I think....

9. If you want to get nutrient free soil but can't get out to buy it, go and dig some backyard soil, sift out the dirt to remove rocks, sticks, and other big stuff, then throw the dirt on a baking sheet and put in the oven on 400/F for 20 minutes to kill everything and mix with your bought soil. Its cheap and relatively simple if you just need filler.