Dying quick! Please help!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by jdskyguy, Feb 11, 2013.

1. So I had to go out of town for a few days and left my sister to care after the girls. Wow did things go to hell in 3 days.

What type of medium; soil or hydro? soil
    What brand and type of soil? FFoF with perlite added
    Indoors or outdoors? indoors - grow tent
    What strain? WW/BD/AK47
    How old are the plants? 1 month
    What type of lights and how many watts? 400w HPS
    How far from the lights?1.5 feet
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? every 3 days roughly - tap water adjusted for ph
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? I feed them every
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?other watering now. im up to half strength Age Old Bloom nutes.
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? Temps get to 87 but its the best I can do. Humidity is around 50%,
    What size pots?1 gallon for now.
    Any bugs? Look real close. No bugs.
    Any other pertinent info? It started on the lower leaves and is spreading quick. Dry brittle leaves. New leaves are fine, but die quickly.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I don't want my first grow and a month of work to go to waste!

Attached Files:

2. I would transplant in fresh medium, then go straight Phed water for a bit and see if she comes around. Could be over watering or nute lock out

3. It's something I can definitely try. When you say transplant, should I shake the soil free from around the roots? or just put it in a bigger pot?

4. Yeah you wanna knock off excess soil. You won't get all of it so don't try and do too much. You can also use superthrive to help with stress, some will say don't use it. I've used it to transplant and it worked great.

5. Well it burn for sure. The upper 80's are pushing it especially in a tent. Id try to get that temp under control.

Also Id go to straight water for a week and see if it help. They are far from dead and you should be able to save em.

6. That's true man, you don't have to transplant...depending on how wet the soil is you can try a flush.

7. Ok... Dr Skyguy reporting for transplant! All kidding aside, I hope I didn't kill the poor girls.

I took all 3 plants out, shook approx 90% of the soil loose until about half of the strands were in view. Then replanted in FFoF and watered with 7.2 pH tap water (left out for dechlorination) Runoff pH is now ~6.9.

I also raised the light to about 14 inches away, even though I don't think it's that seeing how it affected the lower leaves and worked its way up.

Any other thoughts? When should I start feeding again?

8. I did the transplant before reading the last 2 posts. I'm a go getter lol.
    @crazyacres. The temps in the tent is the best I can do in my situation. I've added more cooling options than I care to admit and with the 400w hps in a 4x2x1.5 87 is the best I can do. I have good circulation and decent humidity so I just raised the lights. Let's hope that's enough!
    @oasisoz thanks for the help brother. I'll keep you guys updated on their hopeful progress.

9. Well I've never used ocean forest. But it already has got nutrients I'm not sure if its %100% organic but it does have nutrients.some people say it runs a little hot, that's why they use "light warrior" "happy frog" or any other base soil that has got little to no food.

10. #11 cdphalanx, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
    I find this extremely difficult to believe unless your tent is somehow in a room that is frequently 80+ degrees. :confused_2:

I believe this was part of your problem... you feed them every watering. So every time you water, youre also adding more and more nutrients to your soil.

Also...
    I'm no soil grower, but shouldnt the ph be more in the 6.5 range? I think you may also be locking out due to high ph

11. Yeah man I didn't read that but 7.2ph seems kinda high I've read a lot of nutrients get locked out around 7...6.9. That's another thing if heat/air flow is an issue you should get it to a manageable level. Point a fan or two directly at your light. Bud rot is a real buzz kill

12. When your sister took care did she de chlorinate the h20? Or ph? Just trying to eliminate problems. Also if a tent and a 400 is all you can run I would check out t5 grows people can harvest some nice medicine from t5 and cut your heat down atleast until you make other arrangements? Also I would do space feedings to everyother week to let them have a drink. If you transplanted I would just let them relax. I hope it works out you should check out t5 grows they've came along way especially to reduce heat

13. Here what Id do. Bite the bullet and cool that tent......how many good grows do you plan on doing with a almost 90 degree closed space. Its aint gonna happen. Water with 6.5 ph'd water until you swith them to bud...then 1/4 strength...and let them ride it out.

Get yourself a AC unit somehow......if you think they hate the temp while there in veg wait until they are in flower. I bet it herms within 2 weeks of budding if its not cooler than say 75

Water needs to be in the 6-6.7 range. Not the 7's........

Dude your watering at 7+ ph...your temps are pretty high.......It seems you prolly have fans blowing in there like crazy which can cause windburn and dry things out..... You need to re-evalutate what you are doing and get them to the best situation possible.

If you dont fix em i doubt this will be a grow your looking forward to. Basically what im saying is 4 months for a medicore harvest isnt worth it.

Smooches :)

14. Looks a bit overwatered. Temps aren't optimal but that isn't the issue here imo. Definitely a pH problem locking out nutrients.

Flush your medium and get your pH back on track and your plants will bounce back.

15. Meh I dunno listen to whomever you want. The soil looks pretty dry to me.

If temps arent an issue should we all be growing at almost 90? What about the swing in temps when the light is not on?

You can flush it if you want but i dont think its needed.

Play on Player!!!!!

16. #17 Thom Cruz, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013
    High temps suck, but this is not the case here. High temps WILL stunt your growth though, don't put words in my mouth. (btw, with co2 supplemented, you can push temps to 85F easily)

Look at the discoloring of the leaves. Tips are discolored all over the plant, not just located at the top of the plant AND the light is 1.5' from the plant. Leaf look a bit droopy, which is overwater.

Also, new growers tend to overwater and overlook the importance of pH and as he posted, his sister was tending to his plants.

http://i.imgur.com/ewmL8.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/UkQ0S.jpg (look specifically @ zinc)

Improper pH means your plant can't feed on certain nutrients. (why are his tips discolored?)

http://i.imgur.com/14DFU.jpg

GL with the girls. I still think it's a deficiency, but I could be wrong. Hope they bounce back.

edit: there's definite tacoing in the 3rd picture, so heat is definitely hurting your plants

17. #18 crazyacres, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2013
    What words did I put in your mouth? First you say heat is not an issue...than you say its hurting the plants..??????

You did see the part where I said the PH is to high right....

Thanks for those graphs.....I guess

Better yet disregard what i said and just straighten your ph out like Thom said. It will solve the problem. Everything else is inline (shrugs).....