Dying plant

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by theinebriator, Sep 16, 2008.

1. #1 theinebriator, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008
    I've been growing this plant for about 2-2 1/2 months now and have reached the budding stage. It's only about 10-12" tall and in a 8 or 10" diameter pot outside on my roof. A little while ago I noticed that (starting from the bottom) the leaves on the branches would start to brown and wither which eventually led to me pruning them. I figured the first time that the leaves may just be unused, but it's happened to at least 2 or 3 sets of leaves now. So far I have two theories:

1. One of my roommates stuck a bunch of fake plants in there to try and mask the plant. I came home and took them out after work, but they must've been in there for a good 5 or 6 hours. I'm thinking that he could have severed a root.

2. It's been raining quite a bit and the plant could have just gotten over-watered.

Like I said, the leaves on the plant are slowly browning and withering away. The pistils in the corner of the branches look okay and so does the crown and upper leaves. Would anyone know exactly what's wrong with my plant and maybe give me some advice on how to keep it alive?

Edit: Didn't see this before:

What type of medium; soil or hydro? Soil
    What brand and type of soil? Generic potting soil I got from Wal-Mart.
    Indoors or outdoors? Outdoors
    What strain? No idea. I took the seed from a batch of beasters I bought.
    How old are the plants? 2-2.5 months.
    What type of lights and how many watts? The sun.
    How far from the lights? ...
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? I usually water it two times a day. Once in the morning when I wake up, and once at night around 9 or 10 PM.
    What is the medium/runoff pH? No idea.
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? It's outside.
    What size pots? Almost a foot, i'd guess 8-10" diameter
    Any bugs? Look real close. Nope.
    Any other pertinent info? Nope.

2. Have you fed them? They sound like they are underfed at the mo.

They will use up the natural ferts in the soil after about 8 weeks so you would need to have ferts.

BTW Best answer to questions ever...."Type of lights: Sun, Distance from light: ..."

3. Turns out you were right. I went out and bought some fertilizer and after I put some in, the plant grew noticably overnight.

4. good call. and they'll run through the nutes in the soil way faster than 8 weeks if it's generic wally world crap soil, which generally contains no nutes.