Dwi

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by DirtyPete, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Well, it finally happened. I got a DWI tonight, I blew a .09. My friend had to take a piss so I pulled over in a closed McDonalds and a cop car came out of nowhere and turned his lights on. They claimed the car smelled like weed and said we were smoking there, when we weren't. (we were high though) So they give me a field breathalizer, then search my car. I had two bb guns, one loaded, and a knife under my front seat. They found those, confiscated them. The impounded my car and had me sit at the station for a mad long time. I just got back, my buddy was good enough to pick me up. I gotta tell my parents tomorrow. I'm fuckin scared cuz my parents just found out I dropped out of community college, now I got a dWI. They might kick me out. Fuck, I don't know if I'm asking for advice or what, I just needed to tell someone about this fucked up shit. My court date is this monday, hopefully I Can get a lawyer and only get a DUI, since I only blew a .09. Fuck.

2. damn, thats a fucked up situation right there. good luck with court. but best of luck with your parents, that can be worse.

3. I'm sorry to say it but expect to lose your license. It's harsh man... :(

4. I haven't told my parents yet, I'm hoping I can deal with this without them ever finding out. My buddy is coming to pick me up in a little bit so i can go get my car out. Does anyone know how much a DWI lawyer is? I hope its not more than like 700 bucks.

5. Alright, on monday you can declare in court you want to be represented. Your best bet to find a good lawyer is to go to the yellow pages and find a BIG ad that says DWI defense. When I had to go through this, It was $1000 just for the lawyer. He got me off the DWI charge (blew a .10) through a medical defense (he sent me to a doctor, diagnosis, I had gastroesphophical reflux disease <sP!?> in which resulted in the breathalizer not read correctly)
    anyway, I cant imagine going through what I went through without my parents knowing. It was difficult, and I lost a lot of trust I had with them, but I made a mistake. A BIG mistake. As far as your parents go, the best thing you can do is talk to them about it. Its not going to go away, ignoring it/silience is bad. If they think you dont care, (ie not talking about what happened)it could be brutal for everyone.
    I lost my license for 6 months, the judge saw fit due to my underage (20). The DWI though was not on my record. Thats what you need to shoot for here. You will get fines, etc..but I have NO idea what they will do with the weapons. That is huge IMO..Did they charge you with anything that night for having them? I dont know what your state laws are either, if any apply in that case.

The fines, the DWI, your parents, your license, all aside....no conviction doesnt mean a free pass to drink and drive in the future. I wish I couldve been enlightened enough prior to getting into this sort of trouble.

6. Thankfully they believed me that the weapons are props for my movie, so they didn't charge me with posession of a concealed weapon. I don't know what is going to happen in court though, I don't know if they can bring up the weapons and get me in more trouble, I hope not.

I still haven't told my parents, but I've decided that I have to. It would just be too hard to try and hide it from them.

7. what is the difference between a dui and dwi, i got a dui a few months back, yea drinking and driving is not worth the trouble, i had to go to treatment and a bunch of other shit, lost my licence, got another minor due to being in treatment and couldnt smoke so i hung out with a bunch of drinkers instead and got busted, my parents are assholes to me now, i dont think im gonna drink and drive for quite some time

8. Can you be arrested for a DWI if you wern't driving? You were parked right?

So wouldn't that just be public intoxication? Or maybe I missed something and i'm just really retarded tonight

9. driving while intoxicated and driving under the influence i think are the same thing.. just different words

10. dam that sucks

11. hoast is pretty much right about DWI and DUI being the same thing. DWI was the original name of the charge given to someone who was found to be driving while fucked up, but it was decided in several states that "Driving while intoxicated" was too much of a burden on the state to prove, so along came DUI (driving under the influence). other states have since amended DWI to mean "driving while impaired" which allows for the lowest burden on the state in terms of applying the charge. the charge of DUI no longers exists in many states. it has been replaced with DWI-driving while impaired, but often the two terms are used interchangeably. so basically they changed the semantics of the law to make it easier on themselves, what a fucking surprise.