DWC top up question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by tattoo400, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Hello all, I have a very basic and small DWC system going and so far it is doing GREAT! I sprouted a single cheese seed in a 1"x1" rockwool plug and set into a 2" net pot. At first the instructions said (for the hydro grow box) to keep the water level just under the pots which made no sense to me so I brought the level up to where it could keep the plugs wet. So it sprouted and I wasn't using any nutes at all....just PH'd distilled water. I started adding very low nutes (200ppm) and it responded nicely. I have been topping up with the same low nute water and the water is looking a bit cloudy now. I also just added some hydroguard to the top up water and the res water (what and will that help?) I know you are supposed to change and clean the res but HOW? the res is only a 2.5 gl tub. I don't understand how I am supposed to lift the plant and cover out and grab the res to remove it from the grow box without damaging the roots. Can I just top up with plain PH'd water and go back to nutes until I start flowering and eventually harvest? Also, water temp....I am about to start a few seeds in two 5 gl bucket DWC set ups and I am concerned with the water temps.....I hope they won't go above 80 but I live in So Cal where it tends to be hot all the time. Thanks for any help you can give this first timer!! 

2. The easiest way is to get another res have the second res ready water phd nute where you want them then pop the top off and switch out then take your time cleaning out the res wiping it down then you use the originol as the extra its the fastest easiest way so that plant dont get damaged

3. The only time you should need to clean a reservoir is on harvest day. Changing out water in a bucket is just a case of lifting the plant off with the lid, and either setting it down on another bucket or container while you empty out and refill the reservoir. I use 70 litre reservoirs so I use an aquarium pump, but a small bucket like yours can easily be lifted up and carried.

What is making the water cloudy? 

You don't want to adjust the ph of the new water and then add it to the res. You top up the res, then adjust the ppm, and then adjust the ph. 

80℉ sounds too warm for the nutrient solution. It should be kept below 21℃, I think that's about 70℉ ish