DWC Substrate

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Fari Warrior, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Hi everyone, I have 2 questions:

1) - Is construction gravel adequate for the task?? I would get a hydroton alternative but I'm not sure if custms will let it through when it gets here so I don't wanna risk losing money before looking for an alternative?

And if not

2) Could I fit a rock wool cube into a net pot and use it instead?

2. just buy the hydroton, you will have no issues i promise

i wouldn't use gravel

rockwool is a good starter but if it's the only thing in the pot, there is a good chance of the light getting to it and causing major issues

3. Just drop some bucks and buy a big bag of hydroton.

I have mine. :D  Its worth it.

View attachment 1555123

4. #4 Fari Warrior, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
    I don't have an issue buying the hydroton but I can't find any where I live...I'm not in the US and the last time I ordered grow supplies customs (as in the government customs officers) amongst other gave the run around just to get approval for what I needed and before that they confiscated some of my stuff....so prior to ordering I'm looking for alternatives if need be since this is the only foreseeable thing that could determine the future of my plans for DWC.

As for the rock wool and the light I already planned on covering the surface of my tote including up to the stem with panda film to prevent light getting into the resevoir and aid in reflectivity.

5. With any luck your plants will grow so fast and big the top of the buckets will be in the shade. :)

2,000 watts and almost none of it gets past the plants.

View attachment 1590805

You could use lava rock from a nursery but that is kind of ghetto but do what you have to do to make it work.

6. I don't have that either...but I am thankful for the suggestion however. Your grow looks nice. I'm planning on going with LEDs and a few CFLs

I'm thinking if I use the rock wool as my substrate I can use net pot root guards such as these http://www.amazon.com/Botanicare-Root-Guard-12-Pack/dp/B004U40O8K/ref=sr_1_5?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1413944463&sr=1-5&keywords=net+pot+cover

My question would be would rock wool cubes stand the test of time of the duration of a grow with out rottin or forming algae mold etc??

Rockwool stays wet a bit too long and will grow algae but I think you can get away with it. The covers should do the trick. Good luck . :)

8. Thanks....maybe if I research the root cause of algae I can try to avoid giving it good enough conditions