Dwc Slime

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by holyreefer, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Can I use pool shock to help rid of this dwc slime on my roots? Everywhere I'm reading subject the home brewed tea but I already have this pool shock & want to know if it will help aid on keeping the slime away.

I clean my buckets with chlorine wipes & water between each grow and I switch out my dwc every other week.

2. I only clean my reservoirs at harvest and only change nutrient solution when I switch to flower, and I never get any slime. How much air are you pushing through the nutrient solution? 

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Quite a bit a 35 watt air pump on a 8 divider

4. What size is your reservoir? And what are you putting in it? I think you're better off finding the cause of the slim and preventing it, than fixing it with a chemical cleaner. But I don't know if pool shock would do it. What does it contain? 

5. Here are some pics is this slime?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. I used UC roots and a Root inoculate also. Now they say don't use H2O2 with a root innoculate but I did and no problems so far. But for aguement sake don't do it. Either use one or the other. I suggest H2O2. For one it's a hell of a lot cheaper. I get a liter for $.88. So I buy a shit load and be easy. Now for the UC roots amazing product and it's mad especially for DWC. I love it. You use it every 5-7 days if your res temp is 68 or below and 1-3 if you res exceeds 68. Also what is your res temp..... Maybe first sign of root rot

7. Don't think pool shock would help. Actually may kill the plant depending on what's in it. Don't do it. Get the res temps and throw some H2O2 in the. Like 100ml

8. Pool shock will kill the fuck out of everything, more air, lower temps in the water.

9. Are you sure you have a 35 watt air pump? The nutrient solution doesn't look very bubbly. What litre per minute is it kicking out and what size is your reservoir? 

10. I've never heard of UC roots before I was looking into. Either the pool shock or using 1/4 tsp per gallon of Clorox bleach to help get rid of it.

Am I correct in sayin the roots are slimed?
    My res temps stay highest 68 degrees F with no light being allowed in the res

For the H2o2 what radio would I want to use in a 5 gallon bucket & how often will it need to be replaced?

11. Pool shock is what's used in swimming pools to help keep bacteria out of it
    Your saying to use 100ml for a 25 gallon res?
    What about the 5 gallons buckets?

12. The res for the buckets are 5 gallons each
    I'm using the circle air stone at 5 inches in each bucket. There is plenty of oxygen...

I appreciate everyone's feed back regarding this

13. The hydrogine peroxide sounds the most economical and best option..
    How often would I need to change out the res with it & does it need to be replaced every so often?

14. FTW.

Make sure light isnt getting into the bucket too.

15. I dont see slime

:confused_2:

Are you using any micro nutes? The dyes in mine made my roots turn that color but plants are healthy as f*ck.

Roots dont have to white to be healthy.

Slime is typically thick and everywhere. You wouldnt be asking, "is this slime?" if you had it, you'd think, "omfg, look at this Slime!!!!!!"

16. #16 GoldGrower, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
    How much h2o2 depends on its purity. If you have 35% h2o2 then you want to add 2.5ml for every 10 litres. For other %s you will need to adjust the formula accordingly.

H2o2 changes in to o2 and h2o when it reacts with something organic so you will need to reapply every 4-5 days .

I would find out how many litres per minute your pump puts out because although the h2o2 may cure the rot, you still need to find the cause

17. OP, you use cannazym?

18. BROSKI! Lol I think I've been reading too many threads & just trying to ensure I didn't have it. I honestly couldn't tell because all the pics I'm seeing show the same color. I know I clean all my equipment like crazy! Every week bleached & dawn everything and again Clorox wipes and dawn for my buckets... Thanks again

19. For sure no light is getting to the wAter not in my dwc
    My ebb table I just realized the light was hitting the water at every flood so I'll have to fill in with hydroton (no biggie)

20. No problem. Lookin over your pics again it looks like a buildup of some shit on the left side. Is that what youre talkin about?

I use powdered nutes and the dyes turn my roots yellow and pink, depending on which nute I use. Jungle juice makes it turn blood red, as if you poured some wine in there haha

I was worried about that shit when I started hydro, but cannazym eats up any shit in the res thats questionable. Works for me. Expensive, but you should get some.

Id never put h202 in my res, but to each their own, jus a personal preference and I dont care for it when it comes to plants.