Dwc seedling problem

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Genith, Apr 10, 2014.

1. So this is the second time iv tried a hydro grow and I'm having the same problem. I'm not getting any growth! The roots are not growing even though they are getting plenty of water. The tap root has not poked out the bottom of the new cup and hasn't grown much since iv taken her out the humidity dome. Please advise! As you can see, the ones in soil are doing fine and have been planted at the same time.

Attached Files:

2. Did you ever figure out what was stopping the growth of your plant? I'm new to growing and I'm using the DWC bucket and I'm having the same problem. I transplanted my seedling from a peat moss cube into the bucket 36hrs ago and I haven't seen any growth at all and the leaves are looking droopy. I've been top watering it and I've done my research. If you have any advice I would be thankful to hear it, thanks.

IMG_0167.JPG

3. Your plant is badly showing overwatering symptoms - which is actually caused when the roots are deprived of O2.

Any sort of absorbent rooting material, if used in DWC and kept too wet, will cause exactly this worsening with damping off at the stem, root rot and plant death.

Roots only are better - this is how I do it. But if plugs are used, they should be ones that hold tightly together, like rockwool or rapid rooters. Anything that can come apart - will - and it'll end up all over.

Here's the problem too often when used with DWC. Most people tend to plant them into the net and cover it over with hydroton. The splashing, bubbling water from underneath keeps the plug constantly soaked and the roots get no O2. If used, they should be 1/2 way sticking out of the top of the hydroton so that the base of it is still above the wet line - that way it can drain and won't get too wet.

The best way is to grow out a seedling with roots only - I use a cheap DIY bubble bucket with neoprene discs. When the roots are about 6 or 8" I transplant into the netpot, poking the roots through the bottom and backfilling with hydroton. No waiting, wondering where the roots are... And nothing soaking up too much moisture. IMG_6541.JPG IMG_1449.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oh wow! Yea, transplanted way too early! I might've gotten a little excited. She's looking better today tho.

Attached Files: