DWC resevoir

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by yoshi888, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Hey I have a questions regarding DWC reservoirs. I've been trolling around and cant seem to find the answer. If i have multiple 5 gallon buckets all at 3.5 gallons full. Lets say the nute/solution level at 3.5gallons is 1 foot high at this point. Does that mean I can have my reservoir no higher than say 1 foot?

So does max height of my reservoir have to match my bucket height? Or can i have a reservoir say 2 foot to 3 foot height and a level in the buckets of less without nute/solution running everywhere? I would imagine i would have to use top valves and a different pump.

I am quite sure this can be achieved as i can see the systems for sale. I just cant figure it out myself.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

2. #2 MIDLIFE, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
    the res can be taller , my res is 6'' deeper than the buckets & what i done at the start was, get a clean stick and mark off the depth of water to the bottom of your net-pot on it, also mark off every 10lts or gallons when you FIRST fill up your buckets,
    i marked the stick after the first 50lts i put in to the res, let the water fully settle before you mark the stick.
    builder cement tubs make for a good res.

hth middy

3. Thanks for the response, I'm starting to get some direction with this. Would I be right in thinking. 2 approaches to DWC which constantly recirculate. They are:

1. An all in one control bucket/reservoir which would have to have a water/nute height the level of the buckets?

2. 1 control bucket with a higher reservoir which keeps topping off the control bucket (using a floating valve)? So the control and buckets are constantly topped off at the same level.

What i can not get my head around is if its possible to have say a 30 gallon barrel say 3 ft high, topping off 6 tubs each 1 ft in height. When the barrel has drained 2 ft into the control and the plant has drank it the reservoir is now at one ft 1ft. does that not just make the remaining amount in the barrell/reservoir reduntant?

I am right in thinking if you have say 1ft depth in dwc then your res can not drop below it. This is assuming it is working of a floating valve?

I'm sorry again if this is basic. My issue is said person will be limited on space, I do not know if a reservoir suspended higher than a control bucket at all times is absolutely necessary as is not ideal. That said however. Regarding temperature control of reservoirs, i hear you need them constantly cool for best results. Would having the air intake running through the reservoir chamber (current plan 3 chambers: reservoir chamber, a 24hr mother/cloner and veg/fruiting chamber) Benefit any heat issues,

Finally is there another method i'm missing where you power the res into control bucket with a water pump?

4. You just need a reservoir with water to top off the grow reservoir.

I use a gravity feed 5 gallon water jug & float valve (in the grow res) for mine.

Running air through the reservoir isn't going to drop the temp.

If the air is 72 deg, it is gonna try transferring that heat into the soup.

You want to try keeping the soup at a min of 68 deg.

5. [quote name='"jollyrancher1"']You just need a reservoir with water to top off the grow reservoir.

I use a gravity feed 5 gallon water jug & float valve (in the grow res) for mine.

Running air through the reservoir isn't going to drop the temp.

If the air is 72 deg, it is gonna try transferring that heat into the soup.

You want to try keeping the soup at a min of 68 deg.[/quote]

happy farmer?