DWC PPM after nutes? 1/4 strength

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SimC33, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Ok so my plants have about 3-4 nodes on them. I am following the foxfarm hydro feeding schedule online. I have decided to start the plants on their first nutes. So I did 1/4 strength for 8 gallons of water in my DWC bucket...Here is my question...

AFTER I added the nutes, the PPM of the water is around 210-215. Im using a digital TDS meter so no its not a guesstimate..Is this PPM too low, I know its not too high, but are my plants gonna struggle with that low of a PPM? Just asking because I havent had to deal with PPM yet so I dont know if theres a possibility of having too LOW of a PPM. Thanks everyone...

2. its not a exact science bro..each strain and pheno's of strains grow differently..
    do your plant look good?
    then its good..you can ramp the nutes up a tiny bit at a time..until you see leave tip's just starting to burn, then back off the nutes..

3. I know its not exact science, but thats what I was asking, I cant tell you if the plants look good because I havent put them under the nutes yet...just plain distilled. My concern is with the 210 PPM of the water after the nutes were added...Just want to know if its possible to have too low of a PPM and if mine was ok at 210

4. you can see if there green and healthy vs not:confused:
    yes its possible, but you can tell that by looking at the plant also...if its showing sign's of yellowing from the bottom up and not growing very fast then its telling you its hungry, if its dark green, perky and healthy then so be it, if the leave tip's are burnt but its doing great then perfect..

5. 220 is pretty low, slightly above my tap water. Begin by upping by 50. Give it 2 days to level before topping with another 50 ppm increase.

6. Lol they are healthy NOW...I havent put the nutrient solution under the roots yet is what I was saying...yes they are healthy. I guess Ill just wait and see if the PPM goes up or down to see whats going on

7. Watch the plant, 200 ppm is extremely low I think. look around 700 first couple of weeks, and maybe 700-100 last few weeks of vedging.

Monitor Ph as this can cause lockout,

Make sure you have good air bubblers and your system is lighproof. Tape it if its not black.

A small amoun of peroxide can help kill algae and add oxygen to the water.

Your nutes are definitely too low

8. You need to get some food in there to be able to monitor it. Right now, your ppm reflects basic tap water. Start bumping it up with a veg regimen. Baby bumps.

9. Ok Ill add more nutes...whys is it though that 8 gallons of distilled water and 1/4 strength nutes that the water is that low of a PPM? Wasn't it suppose to higher it?

10. Sounds like just a miscalculation, or something with your particular strain. 2oo is very low for vegging, even lower for flowering. 700 ppm for veggin avg.

11. well its 1/4 of the Fox Farm hydro schedule...I guess Ill bump it up to half strength and see what kind of PPM we are looking at then

12. Ok I bumped up the nutes from 1/4 strength to 1/2 strength and the PPM is now at 401 with a PH of 5.7. I know the PH is in the right range...PPM sounds about right now? I will monitor the PPM throughout the day and see if the PH drops or not and follow accordingly.

13. ok, I would have said go to 300-350 but 400 is ok. With the next add back, go in baby bumps till you are back to 400. With the add back after that, I would begin bumping by 50. Skip one every now and again but most importantly, watch your plants. They are going to tell you how they feel about what you are doing.

I like to let my water get reeeeal low before adding back.

14. Awesome...will do, thank you for the reply. After getting that 200 reading and bumping to 400 I am checking my plants like every 2 hours just to see what the PPM and ph is. HOPEFULLY...with their first batch of nutes being 1/2 strength they wont burn or anything...

15. Ok and to update just a little bit...after bumping up to the PPM of 400 at 1/2 strength nutes ~ 8 hours ago, I just checked and they have a PPM now of 408 and the PH has gone up.

16. Good, they're eating. If you get to 6.1, knock it down again.

17. Will do, I have some GH PH down so we are covered for that...again, appreciate the reply. Ill post again tonight the new PPM and PH of the water.

18. Alrighty, almost 5 hours since last check and the PPM is now at 415 and the PH has gone up slighty. So I am assuming that this is a good thing right?

19. Over the past 4 days the PPM has raised from 401 to 435 but the PH seems to be staying the same...whats the reasoning to this? Thats not part of the rule is it? lol

20. ??? Like to know before it starts to hurt the plants if its bad if possible. lol thanks