DWC: Optimal air flow per reservoir volume?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by jungle_mole, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Hi!
    I've been researching a matter for a while and I'm confused, numbers differ by an order of magnitude sometimes.
    The question: how much liters (gallons) of air per minute I need for 1 liter (gallon) of growing reservoir.
    I've seen numbers from 1LPM per 10 liters to 1LPM per 1 liter of reservoir..
    What I consider more "realistic" is from 1LPM / 2L to 1LPM / 5L. But it's a big difference too..

As an optional question: as I see, most ppl agree with an optimal number of 20L (5gallons) per plant DWC volume. Am I right, supposing it's a 1 sq.f. plant (kinda average auto strain)? Or, kinda 20L reservoir per 80W led light.
    What I mean by "optimal" is: enough, but not excessive, room for roots.

2. The truth is nobody really knows the answer to the air flow question.
    So long as you have enough flow to feel with your hand thru a duct, you'll be fine.

Some people grow plants in 1 gallon containers.
    My experience is that 3 Gal per plant is plenty to grow 5+ ft autos.

3. heh, this is interesting..
    what area single plant take and what is your light? yield per watt?

4. In a 3 x 3 ft tent with a 300 watt ElectricSky ES300 and 13 usable Gal Res, there were 2 autos, sativa dominant hybrids (Mephisto FantasmoExpress and Zambeza SuperSilverHaze) that both got about 5 ft tall after topping and training. Total dry yield 14 oz. I've done as many as 6 plants, but rarely try more than 3-4. There's always res room left over. Biggest problem is plants getting too big, and growing into lights.

5. those are good numbers. information you've provided on the matter now has higher authority in my eyes =))

why not scrog then? 5 feet is huge for sure

just out of curiosity: how long did whole cycle/flowering stage take? it must have been growing like mad, i bet you could see it growing with your bare eyes, no time lapse needed lol =))

6. I Gave up on SCROGs because the plants blast right thru in hydro.
    Big autos will create a nearly solid mass of vegetation 5 or 6 feet high that can't be contained.
    Autos usually flower in the 4-6th week, and then bloom for 6-8 weeks thereafter, strain dependent.
    The two strains I mentioned took about 13 weeks from seed.
    Some shorter indica dominant strains in a slightly smaller tent with worse lighting yielded only about half as much.

7. yeah, i've harvested 110 g/plant of critical ryder in ground recently. which is 2+ times more than strain "passport" claims. that's why i feel you "closer", you've harvested 2+ times more of your sativas =))

funnily enough, i forgot to clarify a thing i came for: what air pump do you use? or, what airflow it has?

8. This is what I use, but without much conviction: