dwc grow probs

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by darksoulwandering, Apr 8, 2014.

1. working on my first DWC grow and have run into a prob that i am not sure how to handle, I am using a 5 gallon bucket set up, a 44 gph air pump with  4 inch diffusion stone, the plant is 34 days old and starting to show sighns of nute burn on a few of the leaves, I am using GH nutrients and change the water once weekly.After it first started showing i drained off a gallon of nute water and replaced it with PH'd reg water to dillute the mixture, after another day or 2 when it did not resolve i changed the nute mix halfing the nutrients this time, if this does not work should i try putiing it in just ph'd water for a day or 2 to try and flush it? i thought flushing was only needed in soil, also i have flush solution that came with the nutes to be used once at the end of flowering, should i try this alone with the balanced water before going back to 1/2 to 3/4 strength nutes?Thanx in advance \\\\//.......

2. #2 TheAnswer121, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
    ppm is just too high probably. gotta find the sweet spot, start at 300ppm ;)

see how she reacts, if it drops significantly, raise it to 400

keep monitoring ph as well ;)

3. thanx brother for the fast reply, the ph is at 6 and i will check the ppm with the meter and give ya a report in just a min......... what about flushing it with just ph'd water would this help or with hydro hydro is flushing not needed.....sorry first attempt with dwc

4. i'd only "flush" if you're ph was fluctuating. just get ur ppm in check ;)

5. ppm is 732 in the sample taken from 5 gallon dwc , how do i get it down i have cut the nutes in half of reccomended should i cut them more?

6. honestly, you probably 3.5-4 gallons in there. i'd take out half and fill will ph'd water, then check ppm. dilute the mix you removed and use it for topping off

7. The nutes being used are GH in their go box for hydro

8. thanks my brother, i have grown for yrs in soil and never once had prob decided to try dwc and it was doing great till she started flowerin.....i will draw off like ya said and dilute it with just ph'd water.........

9. Always try about half of the recommended and watch the time it takes to notice any ill effects.  Most manufactures urge large dosages and most of this can go to waste.

Journal it Bro. 

10. got the ppm down to 399 can i save the nutes that i drained off and if so how long ? if not oh well at least i learned, also 1 more ? the instructions call for weekly feedings .....how often do you change your nutes?

11. also as these are basically hydro set-ups does that mean if over nuted they dont require the flushing overnuted soil does?

12. wouldn't keep them too long maybe 2-3 days unless you can keep it aerated and debris free ;)

only time i dump nutes (unless there is an issue) is when switching to flower

just top off as needed

13. flushing is removing nutes from the medium. since your res is your medium, simply altering ppm achieves the same goal without shocking roots by changing water and such

14. many thanks Answer, i appreciate all your help and how quickly and willingly ya was to help. \\\\//

15. np bro. that's what we're here for :gc_rocks:

hope she recovers nicely

16. k ppm is 399 and ph is between 5.5 and 6....crosses fingers and hopes. :bongin:  :gc_rocks:  

17. #17 GoldGrower, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014
    Don't take any notice of the label. I honestly have no idea where these manufacturers get these figures from. Keep the solution at the same ppm as the plant is taking up. So if your ppm is rising it means it's too strong. If it's falling its too weak. Just add water or nutes to adjust it until it becomes stable. Check and adjust at least every 24 hours.

Don't give the plant just water or a very weak solution, just give them the correct strength, and that's the strength they are currently taking up. This does change so you will still need to check regularly even when it has stabilised

18. quick update ppm is at 341 and ph is 6.0 she has recovered nicely started heror the inp flowering growth spurt and is budding heavily, thanks for the input Gold good to see ya still here...... :hello:  pics to come soon 

19. IMG_3186.JPG IMG_3187.JPG IMG_3187.JPG IMG_3188.JPG IMG_3189.JPG IMG_3190.JPG IMG_3191.JPG IMG_3192.JPG

The big one is a sweet skunk from sweet seeds the smaller is a cherry  with a thc bomb from bomb seeds omb that is seeding and popping thru the soil.....they are all lookin good and i am deff takin your reccs to heart.

20. the sagensour is flowering at a diff location i will get pics of it next time i go up to feed her