DWC grow from seed

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by TheLivingEnd, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Hi all, Im getting rather excited as my first grow will be happening this week the earliest 3 weeks the latest :)

Well, i've researched and researched my behind off and i think i have everything under control?

I'll be growing 4 plants. DWC.

For this i have, Vegatative grow 400w MH, Flowering 600w HPS, with white reflector, i also have an 80x45x80 grow tent with a good refelective interior and that is light proof, i have a fan for air flow and to help with stem strenght and oh the ballasts for the lamps ofc ^^ oh and 100% natural nutrients :)

Ill be picking up my reservoir, the air pump, air stones, rock wool and hydroton soon :)

When i get a little more money i can then pick up the PH tester ( Ph lvl should be 5.9-6.5 correct?) and hydrometer/thermoter.

Now to my knowledge i havn't missed anything, if i have please let me know :)

Anyway to the real question, I am a bit worried about a certain aspect, when i put my seeds (bubblicious straight from amsterdam) into the rockwool and the setup do i have the water levels touching the rockwool? or do i water the rockwool until the roots grow down to the water lvl?

This is the only thing i am unsure of your help is much appreciated :)

2. You forgot about ventilation.. what type of exhaust will you be using to combat all that heat?

3. Heat i have not thought to be a problem you see its EXTREMELY cold here atm, so the weather its self should even it out with the temp from the lamps.

4. #4 abnormldood, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009
    I doubt that the weather will be enough to cool a 600w HPS, they get really hot. I would definately check your temps with a thermometer before you go any further. Close the door and leave the lights on for 12hrs.. Ventilation is the most important part, without it, you're not going to make it to harvest, guaranteed.

5. Yea i will do, just for future reference if the temperature were to become problematic what would be a quick fix solution?

With limited money in mind :p

6. Look up the thread for "Stanley Blower Mod", you can pick them up at Home Depot for under $50 and they can cool up to a 600w HPS air-cooled reflector. With your weather conditions you could probably set it up as a normal exhaust and make it work.

7. Cheers man, because i live outside of the U.S there's no "home depot"

So you reckon a 6" Inline duct fan would do the job? because i could pick one up for about 25 dollars.

Also, do you happen to have the answer to my question in original post?

8. Do you mean an inline fan or a duct booster? Those boosters are just to help exhaust air through long lines of ducting and don't work too well on their own..

After you soak the rockwool in PH'ed water and drop the seed in, keep it under a humidity dome and take the dome off once a day to let in some air, do this until you find a few roots poking out the bottom.. take the paper off and then throw them in the DWC with the water level at the same level as the netpot so the bubbles keep the rockwool moist, once it sprouts drop the water level under the netpot so the roots have to search for water and that's about it.. after that you'll be on your way. It's not written in stone, everyone has a different method that works for them.

9. Probably why i havnt been able to find a clear cut method cheers for that mate ;) and its a ventilating duct/inline exhaust fan if that answers your question? :S

10. Inline/Centrifigul fans are best to pull hot air out of a cab. If you can find a 6" Inline fan that should definately do the trick. If you have any other questions just ask, and good luck to ya.:smoke: