Dwc beginner

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Newhydrogrower, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Hello all, thanks for accepting me to your community. I'm planning on doing a hydro grow using 4 bubble buckets in a 400 watt argromax grow tent from HTG supply, is there any important tools I need to get also. Btw the tent is the full kit.

2. Get a pool thermometer (they are cheap) to monitor your res temp.

Good luck with your grow.

3. Look into the lucas formula. It's the simplest feeding schedule I've ever found for hydro and it works well! Not much else to tell, just keep up with the pH and PPM in your buckets and definitely get a PPM meter.

4. Do I really need to monitor ppm if I plan on changing my buckets every 7 days? Would the Lucas formula work with any nutrient brand. IE general hydroponics, advance nutrients etc?

5. Keep it simple! I'm doing my first DWC too. I'm recirculating mine though using some top drip probes. My friend has been mentoring me along the way. I'm using gh 3 part nutes. I'm just following their simple recirculating chart. I have 15 gallons capacity but I only add about 12 gallons nute strength. Now that my roots are bigger I'm actually only getting about 12 gallons in now so I'm adding 10 gallon nutes strength

I'm not measuring ppm, EC or any of that. I rarely mess with the ph. My plants are blowing up! They are doing great and I'm hardly doin anything!

6. Yeah Thanx for the tips,not really interested in the rdwc. Just running 4 five gallon bubble buckets, plan on changing water every week.

7. Even if you don't recirculate the tips still apply. Just get a basic nute kit, ph tester. Above all start out with less nutes than the charts say until you can be sure if the plants reaction.

8. As far as the need to test ppm with weekly bucket changed,any advice?

9. I wouldn't mess with ppm. Just start out kinda light on the nutes and see how your plant reacts. Your gonna go bonkers trying to keep track of and adjust everything.

In using well water, it has a ph of 7. Adding gh nutes doesn't quite bring the ph down enough so I add a little ph down 1 time. Other than that I leave them alone

10. So how do I know when to increase my nutes?

11. General hydroponics makes a nice chart. When you buy the nutes ask for the chart and just follow the feeding schedule. I'd use a little less than what they say at first. Then after awhile watch your plants and let them tell you what they need.

12. Great. Thanx for all the info.

Another question: what is a good strain for a first time grow? I was excited and ordered ak48 from nirvana just to have something to start with.
    #cantwait

13. I don't really know strains. I think if you keep in mind that it doesn't take much for cannibis to live, but at the same time it doesn't take much to ruin them either you will be fine. Just give them enough to make then want more is what my buddy says and it works!

14. I ordered the same kit I think. The HTG 400w Small Bubble Boy Tent kit. but I was also thinking of getting 2 bloom brothers hydro halos and if I'm correct that means that I also need 2 submersible water pumps then? And if so what would be a good size? Don't mean to jump on your post but I figured since we got the same kit it would be a good place to ask some people and see how you set yours up:wave:

15. It actually depends on your water source, if your using tap water you might have to check your bucket every day, for the ph will fluctuate like crazy. And once your plant starts getting bigger it can drink 1/2 to a full gallon a day, so youll have to top off the resevoir and re-adjust the ph and ppm daily. RDWC is more maintence free, but reg dwc is great for getting the jist of it. But its a REALLY good idea to purchase your ppm and ph meters. Like they said it can be done with out it, but if something goes wrong and your constantly measuring your levels youll have a better idea of where you messed up if your constaly measuring your levels. If your serious about getting into hydro meters will make your life so much easier.

16. Im using G-13's cheese for my first DWC grow, girl is a beast

17. Ya while I'm waiting for my kit I'm going to buy a ph meter and check out what my tap water looks like after sitting for a day or so

18. If you are gonna run a top drip you will need to set up a recirculating system. A pump and airstone is too much equipment in the bucket along with the roots. You will need only one pump hooked up to a distribution head. That will sit in your resovoir bucket.

19. Yea that seems like a lot more work the bubble boy anything air stone should be enough, think ill just put my money into another bubble boy

20. If I'm going from seed in rw cubes using bubble buckets do I need to top feed. Or can I just raise my water level a few inches over my net pot until the roots drop?