DWC beginner questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ogderp, Nov 19, 2013.

1. So this is going to be my first time growing indoors and my first time growing hydroponically, and I'm trying to make sure I have a basic understanding before I jump into this. I will be growing in a small closet, so this is going to be an all cfl grow and I will probably make a small screen with PVC and chicken wire and do scrog to control height and maximize yields. I also don't know what approach I should take to building my DWC bucket since there are so many. One thing I do want my buckets to have is a water level tube so I don't have to guess how much is in there. And I'm not sure how to empty and refill the buckets if I'm doing scrog since you can't move them. I got a big bag of free nutrients from Van de Zwaan, so that is what I'm planning on using and following their feeding chart, then checking and adjusting my ph after I feed. Is there anything else important I should know? I want to make sure I don't mess this up once I get started.

2. Ok, so you don't want to mess up your first grow? Lets start by chopping the extra weight and trimming the fat (so to speak).

If you're going to do this for the first time, using CFL's, hydroponically...lets start by perfecting your biggest mistake and turning it into something positive. Hydroponics! because those are the mistakes you're going to have the most trouble with.

Chop list:

SCROG method - do not do this for the first time if you plan on doing hydro under CFL (don't even think SCROG, just forget it for now)

If I think of more things you can chop, I will let you know.

Your main focus is going to be learning hydroponics along with maintaining proper PH, adequate air flow, and not over/under feeding.

Pretty much you've made it hard on yourself where all your elements will not fulfill your expectations.

A proper way to go about it is:

One small plant in a 1gal pot under CFL using organic soil and a simple organic fertilizer. That's the only way to set yourself up for success for the first time. Each time you can do more and experiment.

You are taking on a lot for your first small grow.

Don't SCROG

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. I've grown outdoor in soil before in a small space, and it turned out to be some pretty dank shit. I have a basic understanding of growing and identifying deficiencies and other problems. The only reason I wanted to do a scrog is because someone on a YouTube tutorial said that you should because the weight of your buds can cause your branches to fall over. If I didn't do a scrog, how would I stop this from happening?

4. Space size and grouping. All my plants hold each other up and the walls keep the branches up and out of the shadows. You can also figure out simple ways to keep branches up, after all, you did manage to build yourself a grow room. Branch stability comes when you move your plants around often. People who SCROG just assume the plant can't hold itself up because they never touch them or move them around. If you plan on using a 1000w light, and growing large plants in a heavy base medium, go ahead and SCROG.

5. Let me put it into this perspective

You wouldn't want to put spinners on an old volts wagon Beatle because..well, whats the point, right? You wouldn't want to grow 10 plants under a 125watt CFL, right? Not practical.

You don't want to do a SCROG method hydroponically, for the first time, using CFLs. There is just no point and you will feel foolish after. What kind of yield do you expect would weigh down your plants using CFLs?
    How many watts?

And if you haven't grown in this space before then you don't even know what problems will arise down the line or if it will even work. I'd hate for you to fight when your first indoor grow should be easy and rewarding, not costly. That's why I always recommend for any first time small indoor grower to go "one plant organic" method.

On the note of your previous out door grow, I'm sure it was very dank. You are about to find out the difference between Mother Nature and Mother____<insert your name.

Ill be around

6. ^^^ insert your name! lol

7. Thanks, I'm sure growing indoor vs outdoor is more different than I know. Maybe I should start smaller