Dusting off and updating my stealth cabinet. ****** CHERRY PIE GROW JOURNAL INCLUDED ******

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by StealthyBuds, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Samsung based high efficiency led board lighting. Mostly sold in kit form or just boards for DIY. Best bang for buck in the led market. The setup above is near 300 watts and $200. Can't find that anywhere. Even Viparspectra's fixtures near that watt range are near that price and they don't compare on actual output.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Guess i got some researching to do.

3. Would this rocker switch work for a breaker ? Its rated for 20a @ 125v

Attached Files:

4. Switch and breaker are 2 different things. A switch wont turn off if there is a fault in the line, where as a breaker is the as a fail safe.
    Which do you need?

• Like Like x 2
  5. You dont need a switch at all bud you need a breaker unless anythig goes wrong.. even if you buy a light setup & dont build ur own it can still fail a short out, a breaker will trip and stop supplying power to the system & a switch will not stop till its fried and cant make contact anymore.. by then ull have a fire.. go with a breaker bud.. way safer!!

6. #66 StealthyBuds, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    It was a breaker rocker switch. But ill go with the one canibis posted.
    Cant wait till tomorrow, been waiting to get this cord and plug. Maybe 1 gfci outlet also lol, they're $16 a pop

Would push in wire connectors be good to use, or just wire nuts?

Attached Files:

7. Gfi’s are good in kitchen and bathroom setting near water.. their also a good in between breaker & device so u dont have to always go all the way to ur breaker box and flip a breaker back on.. (Sometimes)..

But still put in that breaker bud

8. Sure you can install what Canibis posted but you still need to feed that device which was a second safety to not have to go into the breaker box everytime.. (it wasnt an alternative to a breaker) “Safety Switch” to cut power in between breaker and grow room.. but a breaker would power this safety box.. so as the breaker posted by Canibis, needs power from another breaker first..

Youll need a breaker (anyway) to get power to the device Canibis posted or to the one i posted also

• Agree Agree x 1

9. Seeing im doing bubbleponics, Im putting in 3 gfci outlets for the cabinet. One in each chamber and in the air pump space. And what ever outlet that is in the room for the cabinet to get plugged into is also getting a gfci oulet if it doesnt have one already. Lol. In all honesty i really dont like electrical work. Its the one thing that scares me. Ill check an outlet 4 times with a multimeter before attempting to even take the cover off lol.

• Like Like x 1
  10. You should respect it not fear it!!

If you hit the mains in the breaker box its impossible to get electricuted.. no matter how scared you are it cant happen if theirs no electricity flowing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. For an easy reliable wire connector that doesn't require any special tools or soldering skill the lever wagos are hard to beat. It's what you will find in 95% of kit lights for splicing. They are made in several different sizes for different gauge wire and several different numbers of terminals per block so you can tie 2 or even up to 10 wires together. The levers make disconnecting them if you want very easy and they hold really well. Better hold then just a push in connector.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Went to some hardware stores yesterday, and they were out of the 14 gauge cord. So i got 20ft of 12 gauge and a plug. I got to get 12gauge wire nuts today.

I also drew up quick diagram of the electrical routing to help give a better idea of what i got planned.

Attached Files:

13. It won't hurt to go to 12awg as long as it fits in all the connectors it needs to. I put one of those male plugs on the input of my HLG driver as well instead of splicing a cord on there.

Get a power strip with a surge protector/over current reset to mount off the ground in each grow area.

• Like Like x 1
  14. He can plug a surge protecting multi outlet power strip to his home outlet in the wall then plug his 5’ power cord into that surge protector

15. True but you usually need to plug multiple things in each grow area so you'll need a splitter at each location anyway.

16. Hes wiring them together as in how their wired behind a wall.. (3 outlets) & feed them by plugging in a 5’ power cord thatll come out the backing of his cabinets gut area so hell basically use one plug on that surge protector to only plug in his cabinet’s one power cord

17. He's running a DWC type system with a bubbler, fans, lights, ect separate in each area. Both veg and flower areas will need multiple plugs for timers, ect.

The easy way to do that is to put a power strip in each area plugged in to what he's currently wiring. Won't hurt if you plug it into another one first. All the plugs will just be double protected. I do that myself.

18. I guess if just the 3 outlets are enough. I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

19. #79 StealthyBuds, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Im sorry for any confusion. I know how i want to go about it, and its hard for me to explain cause 1 im not an electrician nor do i have next to ANY experience with electrical, 2 i dont know the terminology, and 3 i hate doing it. Lol. But ill try to explain it in further detail so please bare with me.

I am doing something close to DWC but it itnt deep. Ill be using a 1 gallon shoe container that will be filled with water , 10 inch bubble stones. The plants will be held in two 3 inch or 4 inch net pots that fit into the lid and sit in the water allowing direct air to the roots from the bubble stone. Ill be using a top fin 170 gallon aquarium electric air pump to supply the air to the roots. This air pump has four air outputs ( 3rd pic), which 2 of the outputs will got the the flower chamber and connect two 10 inch bubble stones ( 4th pic ). The other 2 will go to the seedling/veg chamber for its container and stones. The pump ( crumbled blue masking tape ) will sit on the very top shelf of the cabinet with a gfci outlet to plug into ( outlet #1 ) . Then a gfci outlet ( outlet #2 ) in the seedling/veg chamber for the lights. Another gfci outlet ( outlet #3 ) will go into the flower chamber for its lights. The lights will be controlled by a timer that you can plug into the outlet ( pic 6 but new ones lol ). The fan has its own power source, so i cut the plug off and i will be hooking it up to the wires in the gang box ( pic 7). A black 5ft power cord with a 3 prong plug will be coming out of the cabinet. Ill plug that power cord into a gfci outlet that will he placed in the wall of the room of a house. Once i plug that cord in the grow cabinet will get power............ NOW what i want to do iiiiisssss....... i want those outlets to trip independently. Meaning if the flower chamber outlet trips cause of whatever, i dont want the veg chamber outlet or air pump chamber outlet to lose power due to that one chamber tripping. I want them to still work and not be affected.

I hope that clears up what i want.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. How are you planing on powering the 12v fans??