Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

DUI checkpoints and Cops

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by cannabismeduse, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Do I have to tell the officer I have my medicine on me if he/she asks if I have any "drugs" in my vehicle?

I'm in California and have my medical recommendation.

2. i live in california and i dont "think" you have to tell him you have anything in the car. remember that you have to be discreet. then again i could be wrong.

3. very good question. i guess if your allowed too i would tell him, just incase. but then again idk how CA cops are compared to the assholes in NY hahaa

4. you have the right to remain silent

5. I'd tell them if I were you. I mean, if you have a reccomendation or whatever then it's completely legal.

6. at the state level its legal, remember that it is still outlawed by federal law. just say no sir and be on your way

7. Rule number one when pulled over - KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

You have the right to remain silent. USE It.

Meaning, you do NOT have to answer that question and it is NOT probable cause to search your vehicle. Simply respond "No, officer" and continue on.

Besides, you don't have drugs anyway.

You have medicine.

Say you had just gotten a prescription for Oxycontin filled, and you got pulled over. Would you answer 'yes'? No, you wouldn't, even though Oxycontin is regularly abused, you have a legal prescription for it. Same with MMJ

8. You never have to tell them anything at all, legal or illegal.

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

The Fifth Amendment to the US Constitution

As to the specific statute in CA I'm not certain, but just remember that you don't have to ever tell the LEO's anything if you don't want to.

9. #9 CREAM, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
    Like others have said--kept your mouth shut and "lie."

Because quite frankly, unless you are trafficking some serious serious shit, chances are being cooperative with the cop won't better position yourself in a drug charge. That doesn't mean be rude, but like others have said, pretend you don't have it. If they want to search your car, they will find a way, and keeping your mouth shut will only help your cause. Cops love to play the good cop-bad cop routine, but again, unless you are facing 15 years in jail, you aren't going to get much of a deal. Be polite, but don't bend to their mind games.

And yes, if it is medical marijuana...then there's nothing to say...you are within your rights to conceal that. It is your private medical information. Now if they find it, you will unfortunately have to go through the proper legal channels to prove you are acting lawfully--but that's up to them to be dickheads and escalate the situation.