Duel Carbon Filters On One Inline Fan

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Mr.Pink7, Sep 5, 2014.

1. #1 Mr.Pink7, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014
    Dual  :smoke:

Excuse my third grade drawing :), but I have a spare bedroom and am trying to separate it into a veg/ flowering room. Has anyone ever tried a setup like below. I would like to pull air through a separate carbon filter in each room with one inline fan but wasn't sure it would work.

Attached Files:

• 12.png
      12.png
      File size:
      12.6 KB
      Views:
  2. You would need a strong ass fan to pull all of that. Depends on room size too, cfms all that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Theoretically it could work bro, but as mentioned, you would need a huge fan to pull dual carbon filters and extract heat from both areas....I have a monster fan for a 3 sqm tent and that sounds like a jumbo jet starting up lol.....if you have neighbours nearby you might want to invest in things like acoustic ducting, muffler, speed controller, mdf box etc to reduce the noise if you choose to go down that route.....If your not growing in a legal area, the last thing you want is for the folks next door to start complaining to the authorities because they get pissed living next door to a wind turbine! 

Are you thinking of having 2 separate tents in this room for veg/flower?, or using the whole room?.... if the latter you are going to need lightproof curtains or something similar to keep both areas separate....I would say tents are the best option, and actually unless the slightest trace of odour is an issue, I would just hook up the carbon filter in the flower tent....Usually the smell in veg doesn't get too pungent until the final week or two anyway, and if it does, take a clone or two and throw it into flower. :)

4. #4 Bongsauce, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014
    The ducting would need to be very symmetrical to get them both flowing at the same cfm. Any extra turns or length in ducting...or any difference in the resistance of the airflow from the carbon filter will result in uneven suction between the 2 runs of exhaust. I'm making it sound more technical then it is but, air flow always takes the path of least resistance...if one ducting run has less resistance it will naturally 'steal' more cfm from the fan. If one room is veg, one flower. The veg room probably doesn't need as much cfm to cool it and you could just choke the exhaust run from the veg side to ensure the flower side is getting 100% of the necessary airflow to cool it.,

If both rooms are flowering, have you considered running a flipflop and running each room on staggered 12/12 cycles...also adding a dampener(?)at the 'Y' to switch the exhaust over to the room that is currently on...then with a passive vent or 2 between rooms you could keep a slight neg pressure in the 'off' room.

I'm pretty high this mornin...I might be over thinkin it  :smoking:   ...just trying to add some more options.

* * * doh my reading sucks. you clearly said veg/flower.  In that case just run your filter in the flowering side and put a passive intake from the flower side to veg side....so that the flowerside is sucking it's air from the veg side...and the veg side has another passive intake vent of it's own....so you're kinda daisy chaining both rooms together. As long as you're exhausting the final air outside, there should be enough passive airflow to cool both sides.

5. I wish I had your scientific approach towards issues Bong....

Today I stood on the ducting...."It will be okay". Then I did it again...."Daren't look, can still hear the fan blowing, it will be sweet." ;)

6. * * * doh my reading sucks. you clearly said veg/flower.  In that case just run your filter in the flowering side and put a passive intake from the flower side to veg side....so that the flowerside is sucking it's air from the veg side...and the veg side has another passive intake vent of it's own....so you're kinda daisy chaining both rooms together. As long as you're exhausting the final air outside, there should be enough passive airflow to cool both sides.

I thought about that my only concern is higher humidity in the veg room going into the flowering room. I guess I could do that just the other way around with flowering room air getting sucked into the veg room and then out. 

7. I don't see any reason that couldn't work....but a big ass fan will most definitely be required! mine is fairly high powered, extracts at approx 675 cfm, but only for the one tent....if you are pulling air from 2 separate areas, through dual filters and X metres of ducting, that fan needs to be a monster....and even the smallest monsters are loud, so if noise is an issue, probably best to spend a few extra $$$ on the right fan for the job first time around....much better than risking a technical malfunction, or soaring temps in the flower room. 

And definitely better than pissing off the neighbours and potentially losing the crop if the police come knocking to discover if you have planning consent for the airport that is apparently operating 24/7 from your premises. 

Wish I had taken my own advice sometimes lol. 

8. In my experience, it is very difficult to draw air from two different spaces with a single fan in the manner your drawing indicates.   As Zen Grower mentioned in his awesome high post, air will take the path of least resistance.   That means if one room has a little air leak in it, most of your air flow will go through that room, rather than the second room.

If you are doing this for budget purposes, I would suggest running tubing from the top of space A, down to the bottom of space B, and having your exhaust leave space B....  This will draw air through the first chamber, out through the second chamber, then out to the atmosphere. 

This will result in a warmer, less productive space B, than A, but will ensure you'll have a steady flow of air.  

The right thing to do would be to use two fans. 

9. Your veg/clone room only needs to be 1/4 the size of flowering as you will need more room when they flower

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Pulling air through two filters as in your drawing would actually have less a static pressure drop on intake off fan as it has two paths of flow. (Eg a small filter will restrict the flow more then a large one). By placing the filters as per your drawing you have put them in parallel reducing pressure drop (Made two filters into 1 large filter) and increasing flow. But as said earlier veg is 1/4 flower(less air flow). Running from a to b is also a good idea.

It could work. But with only a little info to go from its impossible to know. If you want more accurate answers give detailed info on you set up(lights,room size, fans, air temp of fresh air, ect... other heating equipment eg. Air pumps, ballasts, transformers, fans.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

11. Flash is 100% right. Make your veg room 1/4 the size. How big do you plan on making each room? How many plants/lights?