Dual purpose motorcycles

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Antonacci44, May 11, 2015.

1. #1 Antonacci44, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
    What is your opinion on them? I have been wanting to buy one for a while. What is your guys opinion on them if you own or have riden one?

I am moving back to Texas and I want to get into off roading. I don't have a car either so it seems like a win/win purchase. Is it too good to be true?

2. They are fun! Will it be your first bike? Whats your budget? How tall are you(inseam)?

3. Ya this would be my first bike. My budget is 5k-10k, maybe a little more if I get graduation gifts. And I have 6ft.

4. Thats plenty to buy something new or you can find very low mileage used ones for  $3500-$5000. Whats you weight also? If your not a huge guy the WR250R is a nice choice. Its fuel injected which is pretty hard to come buy in the dual sport world. Its also light and nimble and very off road worthy. If you want a bigger bike DRZ400 and the DRZ650 are also good choice's. How off road are you trying to get? Ride on dirt roads or really go off road? I ask this b/c the WR and the DRZ come in SUPERMOTO trims which are a blast on the streets and can tackle dirt roads. Once you really get off road they lack b/c of street tires and stiffer suspension. Also take a motorcycle safety course before getting a bike. I like to ride street/commute and hard packed fireroads(dirt) and would choose Supermoto.

5. I like the drz400. There are a stupid number of forums for it. I had one for many years. Reliable as fuck. I don't see carbs as an issue, buy fi is easy. O would recommend finding a used one like Bob said. Especially if you have to budget for riding clothes. Buy a good to amazing helmet. Don't skimp. I like icons, but they fit my head.

6. I have had tons of dirt bike and tons of street bikes, but never combined the two...

I ride way to hard on the street, so there's no way I would find using it on the street fun, except for power wheelies.

however, it must be a blast off roading...

7. You should try out  supermoto. Its a perfect mix of the bike you ride.

8. the supermoto looks hella fun...

earlier today

Attached Files:

9. Buy a Christini and be done with it.

10. Get a supermoto, had one in high school and one a few ears back and they are a blast. Faster then any 600 sport bike stop light to stop light and you can pull 5th gear all power wheelies

11. I have a KLR 650...I put lowering kit on it cause I'd be on tip toe when I stopped, I'm 5'11".

It's comfy enough, even on longer hi-way rides....the thing I don't like about it is that the front end feels twitchy...but for something that's part dirt bike I guess that comes with the territory.....

12. I personally am looking into the 690 KTM
    1438417059363.jpg

Helluva bike. I tried out a DRZ400 and it lacked the power I like coming from a motocross background but still more than enough to pull that from wheel off the ground. I liked the huskies but couldn't find any locally and parts seemed harder to find I'm my area

They are all great bikes with different purposes though, gotta match one to your style of riding.

Much highway? Or mostly street and offroad?