Drying: Slight Mildewy Smell Normal?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by King Creole, Sep 25, 2009.

1. #1 King Creole, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
    I am on day 4 of drying and have noticed a slight mildew smell, somewhat close to days old grass clippings. It's not overpowering, but then again my sense of smell is rather bad.

Is that normal during the drying period?

Extra Info:

Temperatures hover in mid 70's, RH around 55. They're in the bathroom with door cracked, so ventilation is good. I take a bath rather than shower, so there's no issue with water droplets spraying around.

No fan. Last year (my second cultivation, first in this space), the fan dried them out way too fast, even indirectly, and the smoke was a little harsh. I've read some posts that say a fan is not essential, especially in the same temp/humidity conditions I have. So, I'm trying to go slower and get something smoother, because last year the buds were ready for jars after 4 or 5 days.

The caterpillars have been abandoning ship up until this morning: about 12 on day 2, 8 on day 3 and 3 so far this morning. So, I don't know if that indicates they've been way too moist. I gave the plant its final flush 3 days before harvest. Planter felt light, but leaves hadn't started to sag.

Buds are dry to the touch now, crackly on the surface, pliable when squeezed. Stems bend, not snap.

So, I'm just wondering if everything seems normal and if I should run a fan for a little while, due to the smell. Any opinions?