drying question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by biggjerryboy, Apr 1, 2003.

1. This may sound naive as I am very naive about growing, but how come when I dryed a clipping, it got all hard and crackly. All it did was break to peices in my fingers like a leaf from the ground. I dont get it.

2. when you say a clipping....do you mean a bud?.....if so....how did you dry it?......a slow dry at room temp is best, and also in darkness........and cured as well, if you've got the time.......circulate the air a couple of times a day......some people put a fan in the drying room but on a low setting and not directly at the plant.........Peace out.....Sid

3. sorry, what is curring? i thought all u had to do was to dry the bud when its done.

4. yes it is.....but to add flavour and smell you cure the buds by having them in an air tight tin or jar in the dark, and let the air in a couple of times a day.....mmmm......buds.....mmmmm.....Peace out.......Sid

5. what does putting them in the dark do, does it need to be in the dark?

6. yep, light and air degrade the percentage of THC...like Sid said air tight jars after they're dry to the touch on the outside..then open them up a couple times a day and stir them around. When you pack the bud in leave it loose but fill the jar up.

Here's a link that'll explain harvesting and curing in detail:
    http://www.daweedking.com/harvesting.html

7. oh ok, i get it now, how long does it usually take to cure ? and how do ya know when to cut off the buds?

8. well, there wasnt buds on it yet, but wouldnt it still be good to smoke? What happened was I put it in an air-tight lid in the dark but there wasnt buds yet. It just cracked up and broke to peices in my hand

9. Well the buds are the part you wanna smoke, thats the part of the plant that produces the most THC glands. The leaves have a little, but it defeats the purpose of growing it if you don't flower it.

10. see, but the point im trying to get across is that my leaves are falling apart in my fingers. there not supposed to do that. i only dryed it for 1 day and it did that. the stem got all skinny. what happens when i dry it with buds? wont it do the same thing?

11. curing method -

Trim all remaining leaf (save for hashmaking) tight to the buds, and trim smaller buds from larger stems. Store them airtight; air at this point degrades THC. Note- ziplock bags are not airtight! You could use buckets with an airtight lid like used for food and sauces and such, but the best containers are those glass jars with the rubber seal and latch. Just put as much bud in it as possible using light pressure. The point is to fill it as much as possible, so not too much air remains in the container. The less air, the better. To be safe, check them the next day to make sure it's still dry (did not 'sweat'). Any excess moisture at this point will invite mold. If it did sweat and is moist (soft) again, lay the bud out on something other than newspaper and put in a dry place to get the last water out.

Repack and place the container in a cool, dark place, like a refrigerator. Note- fridges have high humidity so they must be absolutely airtight.
    The longer it sits (up to around a month, maybe longer in the fridge) the better it gets, both in taste and potency. At around the month mark, you can move it to the freezer to almost stop the aging and curing process. Once you've got some buds stored in the freezer, you have a private stash that will last a long time. If you've got the patience to wait, the smoke will be sweet and smooth. The high will be mellow, and longer lasting. If you grew enough to last you a while, then after a few harvests you will be able to have properly cured buds at your disposal, with no downtime waiting for the next batch to cure!

12. yep..if I've said it once I've said it maybe 10 times...after harvest, patience is the key.