Drying outdoors plan?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by marrymemary, Mar 21, 2012.

1. What's up everyone, now that I'm beginning to plan my outdoor grow I've come across one flaw. Where I'm going to dry and cure my weed. Since I live with my parents, my house is not an option. Drying outdoors as I've read makes shitty bud, so I thought of maybe getting/building one of those tiny sheds in the woods way back and getting those drying racks and a mr. heater or something. What do you guys think?

2. #2 mjmama25, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
    You can just get a tent or large box, sting line across and hang dry anywhere you want. Not too big a deal. I dry in my toolshed these days.

3. a tarp, some wire, is all you need to dry outdoors (don't use a tent: too humid and visible). Hang the bud branches on the wire that are under the tarp you attached to bushes. All you need is protection from rain. The air flow will dry them in 2 or 3 weeks. I only dry outdoors.

4. [quote name='"Corto Malteze"']a tarp, some wire, is all you need to dry outdoors (don't use a tent: too humid and visible). Hang the bud branches on the wire that are under the tarp you attached to bushes. All you need is protection from rain. The air flow will dry them in 2 or 3 weeks. I only dry outdoors.[/quote]

This may depend on the humidity level where you live. Where I am it's pretty dry usually and I need to dry in something or my buds will dry too fast, like within 2-3 days and not taste as good. I usually keep the door half open the first few days and the drier my bud gets the more I close the door to extend the dry time. I guess we all have to make our circumstances work for us the best we can.

5. Dayum in 3 days, point taken, it depends on the humidity level. Mine dry in 2 weeks outdoors. And I still leave them for another at home and then they go to the jars.

6. But I will be be harvesting around the beginning of october where after there'll be frosts. I live in Maine. So i dont want my weed getting messed up with the cold climate

7. Doesnt leaving the bud outdoors, just under tarp, leave it open to bugs from all sides :eek:

8. try burlap sacks, under tarp
    thats the easiest try

9. When I'm harvesting where I live there will be frosts...

10. [quote name='"LankySwag"']

Doesnt leaving the bud outdoors, just under tarp, leave it open to bugs from all sides :eek:[/quote]

I've never seen bugs be very interested in drying bud. They like fresh plant matter and will actually vacate a plant once it's harvested in my experience. But I have no idea what type of bugs you guys are dealing with in other parts of the world.

11. As mjmama wrote, once they're cut and drying (in the shade: not on your sunny grow spot of course), no bugs will be interested in it. With the air flow, it'll be a perfect dry and much less smelly and bulky to bring back home. It's a great method as my spots are far and the drive back home is too long for fresh buds in a bag (mold on arrival after 1h+ driving).

12. Interesting, so basically just hang it on a dryer line under some tarp?

Like clothes :D

13. i have the same problem. i thought about cutting holes in a rubbermaid container and hanging then in there with a screen over the holes. You guys see any problems with that?

14. [quote name='"youndbud"']i have the same problem. i thought about cutting holes in a rubbermaid container and hanging then in there with a screen over the holes. You guys see any problems with that?[/quote]

I'd worry about mold in a rubbermaid. Even with the holes it would be awfully humid in there. The tent and tarp ideas can breath more to avoid mold. Even a cardboard box would be better IMO.

15. How do you avoid it getting fucked up by frost?

16. [quote name='"marrymemary"']How do you avoid it getting fucked up by frost?[/quote]

Just being inside something or under the tarp should help quite a bit. My plants in my greenhouse/shelter thing I built have been through several freezing nights and are fine. I'd imagine being under a tarp would be about as much protection as my homemade greenhouse.

17. #17 Corto Malteze, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
    yep like clothes, the tarp should be slanted if it rains (I can't find the pic on my cpu so can't repost).. See pics in my 2011 thread page 26, "my drying stations". I barely trim them when I dry them outside (just pluck big fan leaves with my hands). put the branches so they fit when hanged so they don't touch the ground (2 feet long about so the tarp is pretty low (discrete) in thorny or thick low bush type veg. It is virtually invisible (in the shade). Use something that doesn't reflect the sun but waterproof.

That could be an issue so don't leave them out drying if it's freezing. I get mine done and dried before the frosts which are late over here (mid end november).

I leave them 2 weeks outdoors to get them 2/3 or 1/2 dry. It depends on the temps and humidity in your area too. Maybe 3 days is enough where you are. Then, I finish them off at home. You can rehydrate them or accelerate the drying process at home. Imo, buds are good after 2-3 months in the jars (a long cure). Some strains like sensi star are harsher so need a longer cure (4). Drying outdoors is good cause it dries them quite fast. As Oldpork explained giving them a quick dry at first it allows for a smoother smoke. The outdoor drying can be more or less quick (sun or no). The wind is good for an even drying. Have a good one.

18. yup its hot and dry up here, when I read 2-3 weeks I was thinking mine would be pretty crispy by then lol..

19. Is it one of the ones in ur sig? :confused:

20. I'm pretty sure that it's not really the freezing part of the frost that fucks up the trichs, it's the thawing. So I guess if you dont have direct sunlight FIRST thing in the morning you should be ok. Could be wrong though, don't quote me on it.