Drying/Curing and other questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Piper, Feb 21, 2005.

1. I'm going to start an outdoor crop quite soon, and I was wondering,
    (Yes I am aware some of these have been answered before, but I have looked for the answers and was fruitless, so help me out here.)

1. What is the exact process for drying/curing, and is this possible to do outside without losing any vital components?
    2. Is there any preffered methods that any of you like in particular?
    3. Is kef/keef/whatever only obtainable from bud, or can it also be extracted from leaves?
    4. Is green dragon possible to make using males/leaves?
    5. If yes, how long would it take in vodka (40%)?
    6. Other than using ice water and straining, ironing kef, and bubble hash, are here any other good methods to make hash?

Thanks.

2. I'm going to start an outdoor crop quite soon, and I was wondering,
    (Yes I am aware some of these have been answered before, but I have looked for the answers and was fruitless, so help me out here.)

1. What is the exact process for drying/curing, and is this possible to do outside without losing any vital components?

-There is no 'Exact' process, but heres a good way that i condone: Hang dry your buds for a day or two (depends on the weed), or put them on a screen, until they're dry to the touch and all that jazz. Then put them into a tight plastic bag or air tight sealed jar for 8 hours or so. When the buds feel moist again, hang them again, repeat this and in about half a week, they'll be properly dry. When youre repeating the cycle, shorten the periods youre going to hang them dry them a bit. go from drying for 24 hours the first day, to 16 hours, to 12 hours, you get the drift :) If you follow this method, they'll be dry enough for use in about 3 or 4 days, but it could be longer..Like i said, it depends how wet they are, the weed strain, the ventilation, how long you cure them, etc.

Make sure when youre drying them, its well ventilated. But DONT fan the air directly onto the buds, this will dry them too quickly, and keep the area dark, as light will break down thc. Increased heat or decreased humidity will hasten the drying, but the slower you dry them, the better your smoke will be in the end (thats what matters to most of us) The buds should be dry to the touch, and heres the way to know if its too dry: when the twigs snap instead of bend, its probably too dry. Over dried pot is harsh, so avoid. :p
    Curing is making the moisture go from the center to the outer part of the buds, so its obviously necessary you cure your buds.

2. Is there any preffered methods that any of you like in particular?

-Yes, i just posted. lol.

Cant answer the other ones for you, but i hope this helps.
    :wave:

3. Thanks a lot, that's a big help. Is there anything else, other than bud, worth drying?

4. Np, but i did forget one thing: Dont use a food dehydrator or any other lame ways to try to cut corners on the drying process. Its very important that yo dont dry them too much. If you dont dry them enough, you can always go back, but once the damage is done, it could be slightly harsh to incredibly bunked out. lol. Just do the alternating method, most people will tell you its a very safe and quick way to do it. Itll take you some hassle to re-hang them a few times and check on them, but its definetely quicker then hanging them for a week then finalizing the process by curing (a method a lot of people use) These tips come from the high times video called "Ready set grow" you can download it from torrentspy.com, just do a search..Might find some other good stuff too if you look hard enough. I found a collection of like, 10 books, 5 of them were Incredibly helpful, really long and thorough books.

Anything other then buds worth drying? Not that i know of..But you can make hash from leaves i believe, not too sure about it though, always worth googling i guess.