Drying buds

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by J&Jfarms, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Need some advise on drying buds.

Im curently drying my buds in a grow tent. 2x4x5 tent. I live in so cali and its very dry outside. This is my routine what i have been doing.

I keep the tent sealed over night. All flaps closed expect one at the bottom. When u get up in the morning the humdity inside is around 85-90%. I then install a 6 inch duct fan and turn it on and go to work. After 8/9 hours i come home and check on them. Humidity is around 60-65%. I then close the tent back up till the next morning and repeat the process.

My plan is to do this untill in the monring i see a humidty drop where i will do a final trim and jar them.

Does this sound alright to do?

20170606_070705.jpg 20170603_112710.jpg

2. I hang em for 4 days. You can fix too dry not too wet. When stem snaps clean I jar and pop top daily for month. I then move to another level and pop top weekly. I have 4 year old stuff in my rotation. The fruity taste is nice but the oak and pine tastes are phenomenal. dank golden flavor bombs. It is akin to making fine wine.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I think your RH is too high for drying..GWE says Temps about 70d F and RH 50% are optimal for a nice slow cure..I follow them and my smaller buds snap off at about 4-5 days..Th e larger buds between 5-8 days depending on size..Works for me...3 strains smell incredible and have not even cured yet..Will allow a minimum of 4 wks to cure..(burping them)

Jars.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. I guess this is like a giant jar that im buring everyday for 8/9 hours

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 60% humidity when the tent is open is perfect. I hang mine until they feel dry (usually about 4 days) then I jar them 75% full in a 1 qt. mason jar. I check in about 12 hours or so and if they have rehydrated to the point of feeling wet again, I spread them out until they feel dry again. Than I repeat the same process. When I open the jar and they feel dry I put a hygrometer in the jar and begin opening the jar once a day to give it fresh oxygen and when the humidity in the jar reaches 65 I start opening once a week for about a month - then they're are sealed up for good. The whole dry/cure process takes about a month.

• Like Like x 2
  6. In my room the humidity runs about 60%. I hang my buds for about 4 or 5 days, till they are crisp to the touch and you can easily snap a stem. Then..into mason jars they go! In the jars you have a few options....you can buy the humipacks which keep the jar at 60% humidity and you only have to burp it once a day. Otherwise you will have to burp the jars every few hours for the first couple days and a little less thereafter.
    That humidity in your tent is way to high man...theyt are gonna take a long time to dry and you will have to keep a very very close eye on them to make sure there is no mold forming. I would find a way to keep thes air flowing where they are drying as stagnant air and high humidity means moldy buds.

Feel free to check my journal!

JMan42028's (hopefully) Perpetual Grow Journal!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I agree your humidity is a touch to high, I strive for 65-70 deg and 50% humidity takes a week to 10 days to get the nicer buds dry enough for a jar to start the curing process, i have jars with hydrometers in lids which really helped early on i can go by feel now but seeing the hydrometer readings gives piece of mind, once read "growing is the easy part its proper drying thats tough" alot of truth to it, the best bud can be ruined by poor drying even the best cure job cannot bring back poorly dried...,

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks guys.

Im just worried about over drying. So im really trying to get a nice slow dry. So far they have been hamging for 5 days now... Thats the longest i have had them hanging for. Before in the same shed with out the tent they would be dry in 2/3 days.

When i got home last night from work they felt dry n crispy so i closed up the tent and left 2 flaps open this time. This morming i check them and they all feel moist again and humidty is reading 90%

I turned on my 6 inch duct fan and will repeat the process but i wont close up the tent tonight.

I ordered a humidty sensor outlet for next round. This way i can leave the fan plugged into it and it will help me keep that perfect 60-65% humidity in the tent.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. I would still shoot for 50% RH for proper drying time..jmho..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yeah that humidity is too high without the fan running man. All the moisture...or some of it is getting reabsorbed back into them.

Feel free to check my journal!

JMan42028's (hopefully) Perpetual Grow Journal!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. MOLD Happens..just sayin

• Like Like x 1
  12. Did not know the mositure could go back into the buds. Thank you

Yes... Yes it does

Im keeping the fan running now.

• Like Like x 1