Drying and curing!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Singapore Sling, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Hey, I recently picked up about an ounce of 3-day old freshly-picked and trimmed herb. It was given to me drying in a glass jar (opened) with Kleenex tissue on the bottom. It doesn't have the main stem, I can't hang it up.

I don't have any brown paper bags... I've never had to care for marijuana before.

How do I dry and cure it? What does curing do? Is it absolutely necessary, and does it affect the THC content?

2. Anybody? I don't want mold to form.

3. well i hope u didnt pay the same as you would for a dried ounce because it will lose like 75% of its weight.

4. Since u can't hang it leave it in the jar with the lid off and rotate the bottom buds to the top once or twice a day until it gets to the dry point that u like. Prob gonna take about a week. Handle it as little a possible then start burping it by putting the lid back on and then opening it up for about 10 min at a time. 3 times a day for a week. then once a day for about a week.

5. dont put the lid on the top of the jar - you can run into mold very easy - if you cant hang dry, at least go to the sotre and pick up a litle pack of small brown paper bags.

drying it allows for the water molecules to evaporate, if its wet it wont burn correctly.

6. You can't get a paper bag? Really?

Spread the buds out on a screen or in a cardboard box (top open). Once dry cure them by putting them back in the jars and sealing them up, opening for about 15 min each day.

7. Dry:
    Dry it for a few days, until it's dry enough to stay lit in a joint. Don't guess, roll a joint and test it. It's gonna be like crappy harsh weed, because it isn't cured. When it's dry enough place in a mason jar, with sealed lid, and store in a cool, dark place.

Then,

Cure:
    For the first week, remove the lid, for a couple minutes each day, and stir the buds around a bit (very loosely packed.) for the next few weeks, to a month, do this 2-3 times per week, then maybe once a week until its done. Depending on quality, and how well you dry/cure, it could take 1-3 months.

Is all this effort worth it? Only if you want killer weed.

8. Thanks a million for the contributions, guys. It's great to know that I can leave the bud in the jars.

I don't smoke too much, so when I open the jar once a day as it cures, I'll smoke a bowl or two.

9. [quote name='"Singapore Sling"']Thanks a million for the contributions, guys. It's great to know that I can leave the bud in the jars.

I don't smoke too much, so when I open the jar once a day as it cures, I'll smoke a bowl or two.[/quote]

It should ONLY be in jars if it's sufficiently dry. If it's too wet, it will mold.

10. What if the lid isn't ontop of the jar? I've got it in a dark space right now.