Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Drying and Curing techniques?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Smokey_mctoke, May 16, 2008.

1. Where can I find a complete guide to ideal drying and curing techniques?

I have read a hell of a lot about growing, info about growing is everywhere.... but I can't seem to find a comprehensive guide to the proper drying and curing of cannabis flowers. I have read enough to know that the curing is very very important concerning taste and aroma, but there isn't even a section on this forum dedicated to it.

2. cut the branches with buds off ur plants and hang them unside down in a closet that is dark with a fan going to lessen the chance of molds. Leave the buds like this until u can easily break the stems (they snap instead of bending). At this point u should cut off the buds so that they dont have too much stem (use ur common sense cut off nugs that u would want to get if u bought them). Then u should trim off all the unnessary leaves that do not have a lot of trichomes (u can make hash outta this). Now ur ready to cure the buds. make sure they are not too moist because u could get mold when u cure moist buds. To cure the buds basically just put them in an air tight glass or plastic jar and open once a day for a couple minutes to oxidize it. After a week or two the bud will be really good and after a month or two it will be so bomb.

3. If you can try not to assist drying with a fan, it you must use a fan dont blow them directally on the buds. the slower the drying the better.

Ive sen people cut a bunch of holes ina box and hang a net or chicken wire in it and put the buds in tehre, opening it to allow fresh air (fresh air is VITAL)

4. this is indeed a tough subject to find stuff about...
    slow drying and curing in a jar is best....when you cure your buds it gets dry from the outside and still stays wet from the inside...so you gotta dry them a day or two, put in a jar for a day, they back in the jar for 12 hours, then back to dry for 12 hours...you do this for about a week or two see how it goes when its dry (but not too dry) keep in a jar for 2-4 weeks and they are ready to smoke.

5. OK, great! Thank you for the info. Seems simple enough. I was having trouble figuring out exactly how to carry out the curing. So I should probably make some sort of well ventilated wooden box for the drying, and buy a few mason jars for the curing. I think I may be able to rig a small fan from and old CPU power source to "extract" the air from inside the box, and not blow air in towards the buds. I also heard something about curing at temperatures above 30 ºC was better??, does that make any sense? And how packed can the jars be for curing? I'm guesing the more loose the better to avoid mold... And curing should be done for at least a month, right? More is better?

6. I think ultimate temp is 17 or 21 but dont take my word for it.