Drying Advice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by plazarz, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Hey fellow growers. TLDR at the bottom! So I've got a few grows under my belt now and have increased in product quality with each grow. Now that I have figured out how to grow properly with minimal deficiencies, and minimal issue I now need to refine my growing techniques. At first I thought I was merely drying too quickly as my finished product had little to no smell that I could detect and was also quite bland. Not so much a hay smell or taste just flat out bland. my latest grow, I did 1 solo plant in a 4x8 grow tent (walled off for a 4x4 grow space though) and in 1 5 gallon pot was able to get 2 grams shy of 4 oz. from her. Cut her from the stalk and hung her whole, didn't even remove fan leaves as toward the end I tend to defoliate to the point where there aren't much for shade leaves left anyway. I kept a RH of around 68-70% for the first 5 days and detected the shade leaves that were left had begun to crisp but the buds were still very wet yet. I dropped RH to 60-65% fluctuation after that. Day 7 of drying they were crisp on the outside but very moist on the inside yet so i let them hang for another day. early morning of day 9 of dry i dry trimmed my product and it has been in jars with Bova packs ever since and i've been burping away. I tried just 1 joint yesterday (14 days since harvest and total amount of dry time) to see how I did this time around and was very disappointed. Once again quite bland and little to no smell at all in the jars.

In the grow tent itself I had no extra fans running the only air flow that was circulating was one vent hole for intake in the tent and the exhaust fan system. The intake for the exhaust inside the tent was at one side of the tent while the plant itself was on the complete otherside of the tent. If anything I should have been welcomed with mold instead of dry safe buds like i was because of the lack of airflow in the general area of the plant itself. However, the exhaust fan/carbon filter setup i have, I may have went a little overboard on the size, even at the lowest setting, the fan and filter have the ability to fully recirculate the air with fresh air twice per minute in that tent.

Is it possible that I am literally sucking the flavor and smell out of these even with a slow dry process with my setup that is just refreshing the air too much? I really am at a loss here, I understand that the product isn't cured, however I've had plenty of growers in the past help me get through some rough times by providing me with product that wasn't quite dry enough yet, but still had LOADS of flavor to the smoke (once it would smoke), and loads of smell through the bag, so i doubt that it's a curing problem at this point. However I'm willing to try anything. Thanks guys!

TLDR: is it possible that even with a higher humidity to slow down the drying process over 7-8 days that you can suck all flavor and smell out of the plant with a simple carbon filter and exhaust fan that simply circulates the air too fast?

2. I wouldn't increase humidity as doing that could invite mold

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I didn't. that's just how humid it is in my neck of the woods. I just didn't run the dehumid outside the tent very hard at that point so that it would hold a RH of 65-70% inside the tent.

4. run your dehumidifier & try to keep your RH between 50-60% what are your temps like?

5. Right now impossible to get lower than 70F i didn't want them to be hot and dry they would definitely dry way too fast. I inspected them no signs of mold and smoke pretty smoothly but just bland

6. 70F is 21C which is ideal. Hmmm not really sure what you can do to increase flavor or the smoke or scent. Maybe try some terpinator next time?