Dry nugz...too dry for curing?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by RAWDOGG420, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Jesus tapdancing Christ

Pot is dried for a reason and it's not because doing so makes it any worse.

Adding water to pot does not ever increase potency and can very easily decrease it- wet THC doesn't get you high. If you can understand this, then the next question is why would someone want to rehydrate pot.

If anyone thinks that added water will help the curing process to make a smoother, tastier smoke, they should be told that this isn't true. Adding water never makes the smoke better. One of the two important things that curing accomplishes is the slow release of moisture trapped within cell membranes after drying. In this respect, adding water would be the opposite of curing.

The second part of the curing process, the slight degredation of plant matter, is a sliding scale that never naturally reaches zero. Just the moisture in the air is enough for some small degree of curing to take place. The slow drying of the plant cells mentioned above also affects this second part of curing. Controlling drying through venting & tossing the buds limits microbial activity. This causes degrading to begin but not progress to overcuring, rot, mold, etc. Increasing moisture while curing does not limit this progression.

• Like Like x 1

2. You are projecting, because I am not defensive at all :)

The OP was looking for factual information, not your opinion. My intention was to help the OP sort through the misinformation and get real answers to his inquiries. Nothing personal :wave:

3. Thanks man! i decided not to throw any orange peels in my jars as I have noticed some of the nugz re hydrating slightly I think due to me putting a thicker stem from my trimmings that still had some moisture. What do you think of that? Should i keep in the jars until the whole jar moistens up or should I just yank them now and open my jars every 8 hours or so for fresh air?

Thanks everyone for the advice....I am learning as I go!

I can report that my sample (2 weeks before harvest) was pretty damn dank Phantom OG

4. That makes a lot of sense, thanks man:smoking:

5. Would you recommend that i take out the thicker stems I put in my jars to draw moisture out of them and into my nugz?

6. #26 Jellyman, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2011
    Yes that would probably be best. I wouldn't expect them to make a major difference either way, though.

Also keep in mind that even though the buds may seem a little too dry, curing could bring out some hidden moisture inside and the buds may very well end up at the perfect dryness. Just keep moisture loss to a minimum. A slight increase in temperature can accelerate the curing process as it promotes microbe growth. Be careful not to use enough to kill them but a steady 85F or so would help move things along. Because overcuring is typically a concern, this higher temp isn't best for normal curing. But for buds that are curing slowly because they're too dry, the extra curing will be beneficial.

7. wait what? just toss in a peice of bread and go on from there.. and just take your time. thats all. works for me.

8. #28 Magic Man 420, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013
    Did he say optional?....Dude, cooking your food isn't optional, lol why would the final process of why you even planted that seed 3 months ago, (CURING) BE OPTIONAL?.....lol, people.....c'mon This is how people sell bullshit for dank prices.....smh

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Curing to me is the most crucial part.
    No fruit peels, bread ect...
    Just ruins it to me.
    When I dry I simply cut at base and hang whole plant up.
    I find the larger fan leaves help the buds dry slower.
    Doin dry trims suck but have found im producing better product this way.

10. funny.. :lol:

11. Everybody has their own take on this subject.. So here is how I get the job done.. Southern California as well so our temps and humidity are the same..
    Cigar store or Hydroponic or.. get a small temp/hygrometer
    Harvest and trim close.. hang till the buds feel slightly stiff to the touch.. none of that stem snapping crap that's way to stone dry..
    The next step depends on the quantity on hand.. large jar or fairly air tight container.. I used a 32 gal trash can last round and a bunch of paper bags to keep the strains separated..
    Hanging time will depend on the temp, humidity, and tightness of the bud.. 
    After 4 days of hanging I bagged everything and over the next 7 days moved the bags out during the day and back in the can at night slowly dropping the humidity from the high 70s% when 1st bagged and canned  down to the low 60s%
    At this point I jar and check the humidity again for a couple of days just to be sure things are stable..
    wait 30 to 60 days cracking the jar weekly to burp
    You may have your weed smell like mowed hay after the 1st week.. don't freak as that will fade and the rich smell you thought was gone will return..
    Most of this cure info can be found on small scale tobacco farmers sites and GC if you keep digging long enough..
    Your cure does best between 58 and 62% humidity.. if it falls below 55% it stops.. done deal.. can't restart.. no point in trying to re-humidify..
    So that's my take on the subject..

"As always, should you or any of your I.M. Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions"..

12. Get Boveda Humidipak 62%. the medium sized one is good for quart jars. Hope it helps!

13. I'm with you...
    I can see what he's talking about, if say I wanted to sell my old dry bud and make it seem fresher, also by rehumidifying I'd be adding weight, but like micro grams? But some of the best stuf I have had was (prob cured ok or even well) yeo old badly saved dry like powedery suf... rehydrated with an orange peel... WOW... it got it to just right and it got me lit!

Also concur... though nver got hard data on what exactly stops in the cure when too dry that cannot be sort of restarted... I mean no it wouldn't be as good but still... h I just wanna see the science and understand more :)

14. I just done exactly the same on the same time scale you've posted. First grow and all!

I put one of my jars in my smallest tent with a heat mat under set at 30oC for an hour and it's definitely 'sweated' out the moisture from the middle of what I thought were bone dry buds. Could go either way at the moment I think but I've got some boveda bags to go in the jars too

15. Seeing this is an extremely old post.... Couldn't they have just used a boveda 62 pack to rehydrate the nugs? Instead of you guys arguing over whether they should use orange peels or not? Just read a little more in the thread and someone already mentioned this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. That's exactly what I did. Being my first grow-dry-cure I don't have anything to compare to but the boveda bags definitely helped. Salvaged it or it wasn't as bad as I thought but I'm having another go

Definitely helps with the info and help on here

17. Boveda packs are usually used for keeping cigars at the right moisture content so they don't dry out. Which is perfect for curing bud and keeping the right humidity level in the jar.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 30 to 60 days?? really??

shit

19. @honeybeehighve

It's dry enough and smokable after a week but it gets a lot better after some cure time IMO.
    BNW