Dry Ice for CO2?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by guitarmarc, Nov 7, 2008.

1. I have a positive airflow cabinet set up and tonight, I out a small chunk of dry ice in a cup of water near the inlet. Do you think this suffices for a little CO2 bath? I bought 3 lbs and could do this everyday, if need be. Small cabinet, 3 feet by 6 feet. 400 w HPS. Just wondering if anyone else does this.

Thanks!

m.

2. its not an enormous amount of Co2, but it should certainly make a difference. as would putting yeast and sugar in a bottle with a hole on top. i plan on doing the yeast one with 2 bottles of them for my plants.

3. You could get a ppm meter that'll read CO2. That'll help determine whether your wasting your time or not. They may not be cheap, but i always say "work smarter, not harder".

4. You can do this, but it is extremely difficult to regulate the sublimation of CO2 in an easy way. The cost of replacing the co2 every few days will rapidly mount up as it does disappear quickly once outside a freezer, and pretty quickly even inside a freezer.

Plus too much CO2 will kill your plants. It's hard to control the sublimation rate of dry ice, so you have no way of regulating the atmospheric content.

In short - don't bother! If you really want co2 enrichment then buy a bottle and a regulator.

5. It does work.
    Not everyone can affor a bottle and reg system so some CO2 is better than none.

Instead of placing your bowl of water and dry ice near your intake, place it above your plants. Be sure to turn off your fans for about 10 minutes to give it a good bath, keep your lights on. you want to fill the room with CO2 then vent it out.

6. thank you for saving me the trouble of right that. So dude, this is the correct answer to your
    question. What you should do is just get a co2 tank and a regulator, not that hard buddy.

7. I cut off the fans, stick the ice up at the highest point, and seal the cabinet up tight, check it in 2 hours and put everything back how it was..

8. max11max and bacchus have it right. With out any tangible system feedback, you won't know how much CO2 your plants are receiving.

You can pick up a CO2 regulator/solenoid rig for less than $100 if you shop around. The tanks can be acquired at the price of a refill, about $20 (thanx to Rumpleforeskin for this advice), at a business that fills them. And a controller to handle the whole rig can easily be found for less than retail.

So for the equivalent value of only a small % of a single crop, you could definitely cover the costs of doing it the right way. Don't have the money this time? Reinvest.

DoWorkSon is also right. If your fresh air intake is relatively low to the ground (which is a typical placement for cooler air) the CO2 will not be able to travel upwards. CO2 is considerably heavier than 02 and will sink/settle to the bottom of your space. The trick is to (and thanx again to Rumpleforeskin for this advice) have you emitted CO2 enter the space at the highest point possible. This will allow for maximum CO2 absorption for the plants.

There are plenty of awesome threads on CO2 in these forums that will answer all of your questions. See what you can find and if you're still unsure of what to do, post your revised questions.

9. I appreciate all of the advice. This is the first permutation of my grow room and already it has evolved quite a bit as this first crop grows up.

I will begin to look for the C02 system parts as this crop matures and see if I can fit it into the adjacent closet space, along with the rethunk exhaust fat set up. (Grow space is a little tight.). Still not sure where to find the regulator timer set up, but I will look.

For this crop, however, I will continue the dry ice thing, with the upper fan on super low to distribute and dilute it. May not help much, but it can't hurt and I have already purchased 3lbs of dry ice to use up. so far, everything looks very healthy at 10 days into flowering. I breathe on them a lot and I spritz them with sparkling (CO2) water.

Thanks, everyone!

guiratmarc

10. Good deal. You should use up what you've got. As you said, it couldn't hurt. Try searching for "Hydrofarm" or "CO2 regulator/solenoid". That should get you started.

11. Please post back how long the 3lb lasted, I'd also be interested how much aprox was lost in the freezer.

12. I will. 99cents a pound for dry ice. Depending upon how fast it turns to nothing in the freezer, It looked like maybe a dozen applications worth. The way I am set up, putting it up near the top of the closet would let it waft down nicely. There is a very small, inefficient fan up there and that would do a lovely job of mixing and pushing. I could turn everything else off, let that little fan stir the pot, and it should sort of work, for now. Still, I will move forward towards a tank set up. I have figured out a place for it, just gotta pony up the cash.

I hate to say this out loud, for fear of jinxing, but my plants seem to be healthy as skunky horses as it is. Maybe the C02 from the gas furnace in the basement is helping somehow already. I dunno.

thanks!

geetar

13. You may be onto something. CO2 is a byproduct of burning propane or natural gas. I'd say to look into the ducting and airflow of your furnace to see if there is any interaction.

Also you could try taking a ppm reading for CO2 without the dry ice and with the furnace turned off. Record the results. Then turn the furnace on and take another reading. Check against the first reading. Then take a reading with Dry ice and no furnace. Record the results. Then one more reading with both the dry ice and the furnace on.

This should give you a bit of a CO2 map for your situation. Hope that helps.

14. Excellent idea. I will do just that. Although everything looks healthhy / fine, CC02 seems like an importannt part of every successful grow box, even the smaller ones. I would have thought that, by sucking air through the intake, room air would have whatever is needed. But everyone adds a C02 system, so I will too, if it is not acceptable after this experiment.

Next week, I am going to add another 400w HPS in a chain to the one that is hanging. That addition will create a truly optimal lighting dispersal across the full 6.5 foot by 3 foot screen, allowing for some interesting rotating crop / strain experiments.

Knowing that the temp is going to go up slightly, even though I added a 250 CUFPM fan to the tube between the lights, I am sure that the environment will change in some ways. So I will monitor all and record the results. Thanks for the hip up. It is better to know.

gm

15. Ahem...
    The verdict is in: the dry ice is gone in no time in my freezer! Of the three pounds I purchased, about 12 ounces actually went into the grow! Not worth it on any level that I can see.

So now I dug up a CO2 tank, but I need specific info on what hardware toget to regulate and release it into the grow room. (I will look here for answers, but if you have a specific recommendation, I am everso thankful.)

gm

16. no way that works

17. i always found co2 more vital to the veg room and proper air movement and temps are way more beneficial than co2 , co2 is kinda like a finishing touch i use tank and dry ice tank in veg and ice in bloom 25LBS last me three weeks in a cooler in the bloom room open lights on closed light off and what ever might leak out and disapate at night is flushed to small cuts in baby room.

18. so u let the dry ice in a cooler(small freezer or small fridge) in the room, and it dissipates in the grow room??
    and what is to much co2? i know too much co2 can kill us :eek:... let say i have a 36''X20''X62'' box in the room i sleep at night?:confused:

thanks

19. well co2 is not as deadly as people make it out to be dont take me wrong it can kill if used in a careless uninformed way, i have a dry ice cooler that i use, the room is 12x12x9 so 1900-1600 saturation of co2 is what i prefer co2 is dencer than air so it drops a certian degree of were you desperse when i open the cooler a small fan blows down on it so only so much can creep over the large cooler also if you add water it creates a "shell" that slows the co2. my other co2 set up is mounted at light level then it drops is utalized fan kickes on 15 off 15 pushes exsess in to veg room and from their to the cut/baby room all is used i have co2 censors all through out my house but whats funny is i have those cause i have a nat gas funace and that makes me more nervous than what i am in controll of, dry ice is expencive and i would not use it if i dident have the right cooler. co2 in the dark=huge roots and a waste. so many diferent ways from so many diferent people. it is worth the investment to get an advanced co2 regulator that tells you how much is going out and what the air sat is at, i like green air products myself(most things from oregon are of quality unlike my spelling;) did u know that light bulbs(old ones) put of co2 your flame cook stove the lighter u flick the road you bike by full of cars the amount of air you take in in a 25 min period is close to the same of whats in a room, funny people with indoor gardens have more air in their house than most! ommp caregiver/grower