dry ice co2

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by goopyquill, Sep 24, 2010.

1. i have a 3'x5'x8' closet with 10 plants grown from bag seed that were just switched to 12/12

i was planning on evaporating about 1lb dry ice at the beginning of the on cycle every day

2. wonder how much the extra co2 from that would help, temperture the change alot i'd think?

3. what type of ventilation does the room have?

4. i have a 180 cfm squerrel cage fan but i was going to turn it off for maby an hour or 2after that long it gets up to 90 but when the fan comes on it gose down to 80

5. If you have that much money why not just get a tank with a regulator.

1lb of dry ice will sublimate in about 10 minutes.

6. i actually dont have much money i thought it would be a cheap alternative

7. To reach and maintain the proper level of CO2 enrichment using dry-ice, you would have to spend a lot of cash. It is one of the more expensive ways of doing it.

8. I know it is not considered a real source of Co2, but right now I have two bottles of yeast/sugar in the grow room now.

If it helps, then great, if not, no biggie.

Plant for plant so far, same seeds, my soil grow are bigger than a friends hydro planted the same day.

9. The green pads are one of the biggest rip-offs a new grower can be suckered into. Any home brew co2 method would be a better choice.

I tested them green pads with both my meters in a sealed closet. Very little CO2 for three days and then nothing.

10. Hmm... bummer...

They have a display down at my local garden store with really great results. Maybe you got an old or bunk batch... Maybe they improved the product or something... The meter's at the hydro shop were at 800ppm when I was there and the guy told me they were about to add another. They offset two of them at a time in a fairly sizable tent (6x6 probably) It has windows on it, and isn't completely air tight, but even with their T5 lamps the leafy stuff (chard's mostly) are massive.

The store dude told me the ppm's don't break 1200, they hover around 1000 or so. He said that they keep the humidity around 60% and they mist them daily to keep the production going.

Personally I've yet to pick them up. I figure if I'm going to go CO2 I want to do it right. Still though, those pads have got to be better than dry ice. I've actually done dry ice, does not work at all.

11. those pads only work with enough humidity or to spray them everyday...to low of humidity and they just sit there takin up room doin nothin

12. #13 Rumpleforeskin, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2010
    I don't agree. They simply don't work at all unless you never ventilate. Only in a sealed fish tank can you get half way to proper CO2 enrichment (1500 PPM). Anything less then 1300 is a total waste of time and money. Add up how much a 90 day grow would cost you to reach 800 ppms. The pads stop working (even misting them) after three days. You will find it to be much more then the cost of a 20 pound tank of real compress CO2.

Please don't toss money in the trash-can because the hydro-shop can grow some lettuce in a fish tank. I tested them and they are worthless. The reason my results are different then the retailers is I am not trying to sell them.

13. any of you guys had any experience with misting the plants with seltzer water? that work?

14. Bullshit, it IS a real source.

I brew my own beer, and I rigged the blow off on my fermenters to pipe the escaping CO2 down to my plants. It only adds a few hundred PPM but it's good for them, especially indoors where the natural outside air isn't freely circulating.

As for the dry ice idea, eh it might give them a small boost but a constant level is best.