Dry ice and bho extraction theory

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Im blunter, Feb 11, 2013.

1. If im not mistaken chlorophyll is less soluble when it's extremely cold and butane does a good job of keeping your marijuana cold when your shooting it inside a tube extracting the goods so what if you were to layer the inside of the extraction tube with layers of dry ice and ground bud.

I actually thought about it and I think this method would work better with the supercritical form of extraction all you do is shoot 7x butane into a metal martini mixer with a few big pieces of dry ice and then you add the ground up bud and every now and then throw in a few grams of quality bubble kief and put the top on and just slowly swish it around you shid be able to out about 2 cans Into there before adding dry Ice

2. can you explain the super critical extraction method further
    butane -> dry ice + bud -> collection chamber?
    or
    7 x butane -> dry ice + bud -> collection chamber?
    or
    butane -> container with dry ice -> container with bud -> collection chamber

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. This thread is super old, how does one find a 4 year old thread???

Buuuuuuuuuut just my 2 cents....

Chlorophyll is water based and butane is a non-polar solvent so it doesn’t get soaked up in butane during the blast. If you were using isopropyl alcohol, keeping your material very cold is 100% necessary. Freezing the material for a BHO run can preserve many wonderful flavors and terpenes tho so it’s not a terrible idea

• Agree Agree x 1

4. OP is 4 years old yo..

5. I understand what he's saying. Butane is actually liquid at a little below freezing temps. That's one reason it was never used for heating fuel and propane is used instead. Propane has a lower boiling temp so it's able to continue to boil off to feed heaters even when the temp drops. Butane has over 3 times the amount of BTUs per cubic foot compared to propane.

The way Butane is kept in liquid form is under pressure. If you put the butane in a container with chunks of dry ice it would remain liquid as long as it stayed cold. In fact dry ice my even be cold enough to freeze it.

If you put a bunch of weed in the liquid butane you could get it to sit in the solvent longer probably improving the extraction compared to washing it down a tube and instantly evaporating it.

When he says 7x butane he's just talking about the stupid advertisements that say 10x filtered or whatever.

6. i know, this thread is old but i still cant find an answer to a specific question.

i gonna blast trim through a dexso dmo blast tube filled to the top with dry trim. Usually i am blasting 1x500ml bottle of dme dymethylether through it. Usually i freeze the packed tube around 24h in the freezer before blasting. out comes 1g-4g of wax. depending on strain, how tight it was packed and how dry the material was at the point of packing and freezing.

What if instead i freeze the tube for around 30min - 1h in dry ice and then..with gloves ;) .. blast the dme through..

would that give me any more benefits from the result.. more yield? deep frozen the material must crack easier. even less desolved waxes but still all the tricome heads and trichome stems..looking forward to you sharing your knowledge

7. After you blow the BHO. Put the Extract in a container that can hold a negative pressure. put the dry ice around the container when you reach negative 20 the fats and lipids will separate fats and lipids will fall to the bottom the Extract will pour off the top. Still needs to be Cleaned of Butane.