Dry fan leaves on top, cut them?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by RandomGiant, Feb 3, 2009.

1. One of my plants was a little to close to the light and a few of my fan leaves around the main cola have dried up a fair amount. One of the leaves is even dry enough to crumble when I pinch it a little. I'm about a week into flowering with ak lowryder. I'm thinking that these leaves aren't helping much with photosynthesis, should I cut them? They aren't brown or anything, but they are light green and pretty dry. All the rest of the leaves are looking pretty good.

What do you think, cut or no cut?

2. You generally dont want to cut fan leaves unless you have to, especially in the flowering stage. Those on the top aren't as vital as the larger ones towards the bottom, but just let them be...they aren't hurting anything.

3. Imo any fan leaf over 50% yellow/dead/damaged gets cut. It's not helping the plant and could even be draining it to repair said leaf.

4. Thanks for the replys guys. I ended up cutting them yesterday, although I kind of regret cutting 3 or 4 of the leaves that were only about 30-40% damaged. Plant is doing very well though and now the bud sites are getting plenty of light. Leaves that were underneath the cut ones are growing too.

5. I agree 100 Percent, on TexarkanaTims, statement

6. if better to cut the leaves by just the part thats damaged. If its half the leaf you can do just the part thats damaged. The plant will waste energy trying to fix that leaf if you leave it. it hurts the plant more than it does good. As long as the plant has more fan leaves youll be fine.

7. So is this saying to just snip off the bad parts of the leaf or cut the whole leaf off?

8. Just to snip the bad parts.. I agree with this.. I just cut off any dead parts to stop the girl from trying to repair herself.. Anything still green doesn't come off.. If I have a big fan leaf blocking stuff I just train it to grow a different direction..

9. Thanks man, thats what I'm gonna do. These foru:smoke:ms are really helpful! :smoke: