dry environments too dry

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by PotatoBry, Nov 25, 2022.

1. my room RH is about 20-40% what could i do to dry my buds properly and not dry em too quick

2. Humidifier. Get it up to 60.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. hang some damp towels a couple of buckets of water

good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. this the kind of answer im after i dont have humidifier and cant afford one now thanks fortour input vee

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hang wet cotton towels in room.
    Put pans with water all around.

• Like Like x 1
  6. How big is your harvest?

• Like Like x 1
  7. small maybe a QP

8. I'm guessing your room is the only place available for you and you don't have a grow tent. This is going to smell up the house. You could take everything out of your closet and hang the fresh weed inside along with a humidity meter. The fresh bud should raise the closet humidity enough for a couple of days at least. As the fresh bud dries you'll probably need to add humidity to the closet by hanging damp cloths as Green Dragging suggests. Shoot for 65-70% humidity. Alternatively you could use a big cardboard box and control the inside humidity by adding a pan of water or opening the box as needed. Get creative and be patient with the dry.

9. thanks yess my tent will not be avaible as ill be popping 4 as soon as i cut the current batch

10. Use your tent for drying and delay your next crop by a week to 10 days at the longest. Drying is part of growing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. things are just setup to acomodate my disability as im limited in what i can do and seting up drying in my tent would be harder then to find an other way
    but i do understand that if not for my lack of left arm mobility
    the tent would be my goto solution
    but im liking the closet or card board box idea so far

• Like Like x 1

12. A lot depends on your local humidity. If your not drying at 70% humidity extra steps are needed to stay in range as the dry is the most critical step. Blow the dry and no cure can happen.

I only take down off the plant what I can trim up in 10 minutes as longer then that and it wilts and makes trimming that much harder.
    [​IMG]

A jar of denatured Alcohol to dip and clean the scissors in keeps them from gumming up.

[​IMG]

Hang until the smallest popcorn buds firm back up. In my local low 12 % humidity this can happen in just hours.

[​IMG]

Strip all the buds from the major branches, cut into thumb sized nugs and bag them.
    A pair of grape scissors works best for this.

[​IMG]

Stack bags in new clean closed trashcan overnight.

Set back out during the day. They'll spend less time out and exposed as the days progress. Stir the bag contents a few times a day.

This slows the dry and made all the difference in how my end product started to come out. Soft and squishy = needs more time exposed. Stiff and almost crunchy = needs more can time. At the end of 7 to 10 days you want to be at 65-62% when the can is first opened in the morning as that is your best read. I suspended a humidity gauge at the top of the can.
    [​IMG]

At that point it is perfectly dried and can be placed in jars with no pesky burping needed.

[​IMG]

Half gallon mason jars with a 60 gram size 62% Boveda humidity pack for insurance and a 60 day cure will give you as good as it gets.
    [​IMG]
    This works in low humidity zones and will get you a can of mold in Florida hurricane season. :)

Dry to fast and it stinks like lawn clippings
    Dry to deep and it smokes like swallowing live flame.
    Dry below 55% and it'll never cure.
    Think of drying cannabis like cooking a fine steak. We want medium rare with lots of pink and a touch of red dead center. Moms school of cook it until it is GRAY through and through won't cut it here.

Just like cooking that steak we get only get one chance to get the dry right.

BNW

• Like Like x 3
  13. #13 BrassNwood, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    [​IMG]

I dump the contents out for the day in the shade and may even use some direct sunlight to speed things along then nights in a 5 gallon bucket. All depends on how much I'm working with and how fast I need it dry enough to Jar.

Once you've done a few harvests it all gets done by feel and you know just how fast you can dry and still stay in range.

[​IMG]

I've used this or some variation of it for the better part of the last 10 years.
    Uncontrolled drying here gets you "Crumble to dust when handled" buds in just 2 or 3 days most of the year.
    Ignore the "Hang until stems snap" as that is a sure way to disaster in low humidity zones.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  14. Agreed. I learned after my first grow that the "hang until they snap" method is just about worthless. I believe the only way to truly learn the proper way to dry is to fuck it up a few times.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. simplest way a few pans of hot water with fans blowing on them also take your spray bottle and mist the room keep it moist and cold too i shoot for 60 degrees 70% humidity

16. I kept growing great smelling weed only have it all go very wrong at the dry so it forced me to figure out the how and why of what the hell was going wrong and how to fix it. Slowing the dry was the key I'd been hunting. I've tried a few other ways but the harvest kept growing in size and I needed a faster way to handle ever growing amounts.

Southern California gets a brutal wind event in the fall and it never fails to arrive when I have plants hanging. Humidity drops to single numbers and drying Cannabis is ruined in a few hours.

BNW

17. I'm also in a low humidity environment. I used a humidifier and hung up my plants in my closet. Hung them from a horizontal clothes hangar pole. The humidifier isn't able to keep up with the low humidity environment in a normal sized room. The closet worked perfectly for my needs.

18. For that QP just keep the drying space small, like the closet or box idea.
    It will be easier to control the moisture levels that way.
    Brass has a good system for this!