Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Drug Testing in the Workplace

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by HerbIsFuckinRad, Jan 7, 2013.

1. I was looking at my options for college/uni and I've always had an ambition to go into engineering - whether electrical, mechanical or industrial - and eventually I began to wonder... wouldn't they do random drug tests? This really bothers me because I'm not the type of 'live in the moment' type guy and I plan out everything from the start, and marijuana is most certainly an herb I'd like to keep in my life till I'm old and grayed. My question is, do most engineering trades, like electricians and construction guys get drug tested regularly/randomly and if so, could I get around it without hoping not to get randomly picked for the test? Also, what happens when they catch me. Thanks for taking the time to help.

2. Dude no actual professions drug test. Once your a respected worker not just some dude wiping tables they wouldnt risk losing you as a skilled employee over something no one really cares about. Shit its legal in parts of the world now move there if its really that much of a problem, which you would be able to do if you had a degree easily.

3. Sounds like after my co-op is done I'm in the clear? Cool, I hope by then its also legalized in Canada

4. Unless you're working for government, there's not really such a thing as drug testing in Canada. And even then it's only for certain jobs. In engineering you're completely in the clear.

5. It's answers like this that gives me hope :yay:

6. I don't have to worry about a dt, I work at McDonalds!

7. Unfortunately, I do too atm

8. Alot of places will give you a drug test if you injure yourself or someone else, or if you wreck a company vehicle. . sometimes just to get the job you'll have to take one, its something you can get around but it'll be in the back of your head fuckin with ya all the time.

9. Yeah, any employer with a brain in his head shouldn't drug test someone without proper suspicion. If you're coming to work fuckin stoned off your ass, then yeah, you'll be tested. But that's pretty irresponsible anyways. As far as I'm concerned, I'm in the clear as long as I do my job, so that's pretty much the best anyone can do. If someone does their job well, there's really no cause for concern.

10. Thanks for all your answers guys I was worried I might have to quit smoking once I graduate college but it looks like that might not have to happen, or at least till I get the first drug test done at least

11. You don't have much to worry about after the first test. BTW Computer/Software Engineering is another option that's hot right now.

12. All I can say is, DONT COME TO FORT MAC. lol Every site job here has so many random drug tests. And honestly, here is where the best pay is... Kind of shitty.

13. which you would be able to do if you had a degree easily.
    [​IMG]

14. I've been a mechanical engineer for almost 5 years.and I've only had one job i applied for that wanted to drug test; Jaguar Landrover.
    If its a big car company or construction company they may test but you can find that out before anyway.
    So yeah i declined that job because.id rather keep my weed and wait a little longer. The job Im in at the moment, my manager knows i smoke and so do a lot of other staff members but i made sure i made a point of telling them i only ever smoke after work. that id never come to work stoned. If you work hard and have the trust of your superiors they really won't give a shit provided you're not putting anybody else or yourself in danger.

15. When your hired yes
    If you get hurt , yes
    If they are suspicious , yes
    Most companies don't do random do to cost

16. I thought being an engineer was different than being an electrician or construction worker, cause im. Majoring in electrical engr and i do not plan on being electrician